1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Astronomy Major does anyone care if I get it or not?

1. Sep 1, 2011 #1
    Hi,

I'm a senior at the University of Wisconsin and I will be applying to grad school in physics soon. I'm currently majoring in Math, Physics, Nuclear Engineering, and Astronomy. I have 6 credits left to finish my astronomy degree and I'm seriously considering not finishing it out. As it stands now, I'll finish all 4 degrees, but will miss out on taking a bunch of math courses that I really want to take (Differential Geometry and 2nd semester Abstract Algerbra).

My question is: will anyone care whether I had 3 majors or 4 when considering my grad school application? I would imagine that it's not a REALLY big deal, but it sets me appart quite a bit because lots of people have 3 majors, but almost no one has 4.

I am hoping to get in to Stanford, CalTech, or Berkeley, so I don't want to do anything that could weaken my application.

Bottom line: is anyone going to care whether or not I have a degree in Astronomy when applying to grad school?

Thanks for your time,
    -Adam

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2011 #2
    I don't see why you would think you are competitive *anywhere* with less than 5 majors.

:smile: :smile: :smile:

Seriously, grad school does not award points for having many diverse interests. I doubt if having a second major helps you get admitted anywhere.

4. Sep 1, 2011 #3
    I'd speculate that it might even be a negative indicator that you are not committed to one area and that it would take you a long time to graduate grad school.

5. Sep 1, 2011 #4
    Wow 3 or 4 majors...that's unheard of in my university (top 10 in science and engineering)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook