Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Astronomy Major does anyone care if I get it or not?

1. Sep 1, 2011 #1
    Hi,

I'm a senior at the University of Wisconsin and I will be applying to grad school in physics soon. I'm currently majoring in Math, Physics, Nuclear Engineering, and Astronomy. I have 6 credits left to finish my astronomy degree and I'm seriously considering not finishing it out. As it stands now, I'll finish all 4 degrees, but will miss out on taking a bunch of math courses that I really want to take (Differential Geometry and 2nd semester Abstract Algerbra).

My question is: will anyone care whether I had 3 majors or 4 when considering my grad school application? I would imagine that it's not a REALLY big deal, but it sets me appart quite a bit because lots of people have 3 majors, but almost no one has 4.

I am hoping to get in to Stanford, CalTech, or Berkeley, so I don't want to do anything that could weaken my application.

Bottom line: is anyone going to care whether or not I have a degree in Astronomy when applying to grad school?

Thanks for your time,
    -Adam

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2011 #2
    I don't see why you would think you are competitive *anywhere* with less than 5 majors.

:smile: :smile: :smile:

Seriously, grad school does not award points for having many diverse interests. I doubt if having a second major helps you get admitted anywhere.

4. Sep 1, 2011 #3
    I'd speculate that it might even be a negative indicator that you are not committed to one area and that it would take you a long time to graduate grad school.

5. Sep 1, 2011 #4
    Wow 3 or 4 majors...that's unheard of in my university (top 10 in science and engineering)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook