Physics or Astronomy major for becoming an astronomer?

In summary, it is best to pursue physics as an undergraduate if you want to go into astronomy as a graduate. However, if you are unsure about whether you want to pursue astronomy as a career, then it is also a good option to major in physics.
Min Young Kim
I am a senior in high school, I am applying for universities right now. I have wanted to pursue astronomy for several years now, but I am wondering if I should major in astronomy or physics as an undergraduate. I've read online that physics major as undergraduate is an option to pursue a ph.D in astronomy, and that it can be more useful if you decide to change your course of study. (With the new presidency, I'm just afraid fundings for astronomy will be cut, or if it ever happens where I lose interest in astronomy for whatever reason, majoring in physics would be better able to serve me).

So, which path should I take as an undergraduate? Currently I have applied to U.Illinois for major in astronomy, and plan on doing so for rest of my schools, but I'm not certain yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics is your (almost) best choice. You found and expressed most of the reasons. Consider, how are the chances for you to find a job or career as an astronomer? Can you find something else in Physics, or also including Engineering, which may have more opportunity?

I agree.

As an undergraduate it's generally better not to specialize too much too soon. There are really not that many people employed as professional astronomers - regardless of who happens to be president, so when thinking about your education it will be important to have some contingencies in case plan A doesn't work out.

Likes symbolipoint
You want physics if you want to go to grad school in astronomy. You will need to pass a qualifying exam, and in physics & astronomy combined departments, there is a concern about admitting astronomy members, under the thinking they will have a harder time with a physics qual.

Likes symbolipoint
Ok. one more question. I live in washington state, and the best university here by far is University of Washington-Seattle. I heard physics isn't top notch there, but the astronomy department is pretty good. In that case, which major should I sign up for? Maybe double major? (yes, it's easy to say double major, doing it is extremely hard)

Is your plan to ask the same question again and again until you get a different answer?

Vanadium 50 said:
Is your plan to ask the same question again and again until you get a different answer?
Same answer. PHYSICS is what you are most interested in; you might also study some Astronomy courses, but keep your mind open to studies that will make you employable for more or other opportunities.

Double major in physics and astronomy, at U Washington if you can. They have excellent programs, and students of theirs have gone very far in the field. A friend of mine who did her undergrad there is now a prof at a great school.

eri said:
Double major in physics and astronomy, at U Washington if you can. They have excellent programs, and students of theirs have gone very far in the field. A friend of mine who did her undergrad there is now a prof at a great school.
Ok thank you.

1. What is the difference between a Physics and Astronomy major?

The main difference between a Physics and Astronomy major is the focus of the coursework. A Physics major will typically cover a broader range of topics in physics, including mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. An Astronomy major, on the other hand, will focus specifically on topics related to space and the universe, such as astrophysics, planetary science, and cosmology.

2. Which major is better for becoming an astronomer?

Both Physics and Astronomy majors can provide a solid foundation for pursuing a career in astronomy. However, if your primary interest is in studying celestial objects and phenomena, an Astronomy major may be a better choice. If you are interested in both space and other areas of physics, a double major in Physics and Astronomy could also be a good option.

3. What skills are required for a Physics or Astronomy major?

Both majors require strong math and analytical skills, as well as the ability to think critically and problem-solve. In addition, a passion for science and a strong curiosity about the workings of the universe are essential for success in either major.

4. Can I become an astronomer with a degree in a different field?

While a degree in Physics or Astronomy is the most common path to becoming an astronomer, it is not the only option. Many astronomers have degrees in related fields such as mathematics, engineering, computer science, or even biology. However, it is important to have a strong foundation in physics and astronomy concepts, so additional coursework or self-study may be necessary.

5. What career opportunities are available for someone with a Physics or Astronomy degree?

A degree in Physics or Astronomy can lead to a variety of career options, including research positions in academia or government agencies, teaching at the college level, or working in the private sector for companies in industries such as aerospace or technology. Some graduates also go on to pursue advanced degrees in these fields or related areas.