Astronomy Olympiad Estimation Question

In summary, the question asked students to estimate the length of a line that could be drawn with a typical ballpoint pen. Many students thought that the line would be around 2km long.
Himanshu

Homework Statement

Q. Given that the population of Mumbai is about 13,000,000. Estimate the amount of tea that would be consumed by the city in a day?

2. The attempt at a solution

Now at first place I could not understand why such kind of a question is given in Astronomy Olympiad. May be they wanted to check our ability to do approximate estimation because in Astronomy and Astrophysics we have to estimate many different variables. For example, given the mass of a galaxy and average mass of a star estimate the number of stars in a galaxy.

Regarding the above question my calculation showed nothing elegant but the necessity of 'percentage' as a mathematical tool. I don't know what did they expect.

I saw chapters on estimation in books on statistics. Should I have included some statistical interpretation. And if so then how?

I am expecting a question on estimation this year too. Therefore can somebody provide me with such questions and the approach of the solution so that I can have a good practice before the exam.

Physics news on Phys.org
Come up with a set of factors that, when multiplied together, give the desired value. Next, estimate the value of each factor.

For example... each resident of Mumbai drinks x cups of tea per day. Each cup of tea requires y grams of tea.

- Warren

Yes! I considered them. A cup of tea on an average requires 2 grams of tea leaves. An average adult drinks a cup of tea twice a day. Considering Mumbai a metropolitian city about 75% would be involved in some kind of work. About 60% of them being in working class would consume more tea-say four times a day. Considering childern and old people who do not drink tea at all and other all other factors, the problem reduces to nothing more than percentages and multiplications.

But is it all that the problem requires? Can't it have a more formal solution that includes statistical interpretation.

Last edited:
I think you have the right idea. As long as your factors (and the values you assume for them) make sense, you should get a sensible answer.

- Warren

These are very good questions for showing that someone can think, I use them a lot when interviewing engineers or programmers.

What's the flow rate of the missippi?
how many molecules of Ceasers last breath are in each breath you take?
what percentage of the world's water is in a single cow?

The classic is how many piano tuners are there in chicago.

Today was my Astronomy Olympiad Exam. As I had expected, an estimation question came this time also. The question was 'if somebody draws a straight line with a typical ball point pen then estimate how long would that line be'. After a few estimations my answer came to be about ~2km. Now I have no idea of that figure. I just wanted to know the views of other people about my estimation.

Well, I don't know about you but I have never drawn a line 2 km long! Were you interpreting the question to mean "draw a straight line until the ball point pen runs out of ink"? I can see how it could be interpreted that way but it's not the way I would interpret it.

No body draws a 2km long line(except someone who wants to get his name enlisted in Guinness World Records). The question clearly mentioned to estimate the length of a line that could be drawn until the ball point pen runs out of ink. What else could one interpet out of it.

2km sounds quite reasonable. In fact, I just checked and bicworld puts it at between 2 and 3 km.

http://www.bicworld.com/inter_us/stationery/faq/index.asp

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Astronomy Olympiad Estimation Question

1. What is the "Astronomy Olympiad Estimation Question"?

The Astronomy Olympiad Estimation Question is a part of the International Astronomy Olympiad (IAO), an annual competition for high school students interested in astronomy and astrophysics. It is a challenging question that requires participants to use their knowledge of astronomy and estimation skills to come up with a reasonable answer.

2. How is the "Astronomy Olympiad Estimation Question" scored?

The "Astronomy Olympiad Estimation Question" is typically worth a significant portion of the total score in the competition. The answer is not expected to be exact, but rather, it is evaluated based on the approach and reasoning used to arrive at the answer.

3. Can anyone participate in the Astronomy Olympiad Estimation Question?

Yes, the Astronomy Olympiad Estimation Question is open to high school students from any country or educational system. However, participants must meet certain age and educational requirements set by the IAO.

4. Are there any resources or study materials available for the Astronomy Olympiad Estimation Question?

Yes, the IAO provides study materials and resources on their official website, including past estimation questions and solutions. Participants can also find resources on astronomy and estimation techniques from other reputable sources.

5. What skills are required to excel in the Astronomy Olympiad Estimation Question?

To excel in the Astronomy Olympiad Estimation Question, participants need to have a strong understanding of basic astronomy concepts, as well as good estimation and critical thinking skills. Practice and exposure to different types of estimation problems can also help improve performance in this question.