1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Astronomy: Sun azimuth from altitude, hour angle, and declination

1. Apr 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi everybody, I am trying to do a numerical aplication of change of coordinate system to another; the objective is to calculate the azimut of the sun knowing the altitude, hour angle and declination .

2. Relevant equations

Cosh * Sina = Cosδ * Sin H
    where a is the azimut
    h is the altitude, in this case 27.5°
    δ is the declination, in this case 7.2°
    and H is the hour angle, in this case 10:00 on GTM+2; so 20h which is 300°
    3. The attempt at a solution

Sina = [ Cosδ * Sin H ] / CosH

If I substitute the values, the azimut is -75.6°.
    The problem is that if I check the value of the azimut on the program stellarium for august 12 2014, the date from where the data has been chosen, the azimut is of 104º, and I don't know why there is such a difference between my azimut and the program's, Can anyone help please?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2015 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What does a negative azimuthal angle indicate?
    Note 180-75.4=104.6

4. Apr 7, 2015 #3
    A negative azimut would mean that the location of the sun is north west is stead of north east, which is where it sould be before 14h.
    About 180ºThat's true, but that would mean that I am measuring my azimut from the south pole, not that I am doing it from the north.
    I will study the deduction of the equation to see if I was doing measuring from the south all along.
    Thank you very much.

5. Apr 8, 2015 #4

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted