Heat transfer- Solar energy collector problem (took me 3 days, unsolve

In summary, a solar energy collector is a device that collects and absorbs the sun's energy to convert it into usable heat or electricity. It works by using reflective surfaces and absorptive materials to capture and concentrate sunlight. The main types of solar energy collectors are flat-plate, concentrating, and photovoltaic cells. The efficiency of a solar energy collector can be affected by factors such as angle, sunlight availability, and maintenance, but can be improved through proper care and design optimization.
jkim6881

Homework Statement

I have attached the problem as an image and they are same as below.

The collector-receiver combination tested above is chosen for use in a solar thermal power plant. plant consists of 100 rows of collector-receiver modules. For the receiver efficiency use the value you calculated in Part A for the no wind case. For the collector optical efficiency use the value you calculated in Part B. Assume a plant thermal efficiency of 35% and no thermal storage. Use a simple model account for variation in atmospheric absorption through the day in which the solar irradiation GS at the earth’s surface (on a plane perpendicular to the sun’s rays) is a function of solar altitude angle a,
Gs = GBx( 1- Γ cosa)
GB is baseline solar irradiation and Γ is the coefficient of absorption. Assume GB = 820W/m2 and Γ = 0.32
Using a spreadsheet or Matlab, consider two cases – collector modules aligned east-west and north south. For each case plot the electrical power output of the plant against solar time at 5 minute intervals. over a 24 hour period on the following days: 21 December, 21 March, 21 June and 21 September in 2014. Hence estimate the total electrical energy (in kWh) and the average power output that would be generated by the plant on those days.

Based on these results give a rough estimate of the total annual electrical energy (in kWh), annual average power and capacity factor of the plant for the two cases. Assume a constant annual average cloudiness factor of 17%. Cloudiness factor is the reduction in daily average solar flux at the surface due to cloudiness.

collector-receiver model: parabolic collector, 5m wide aperture width, 30m long, receiver diameter is 55mm
Location is Hobart

Homework Equations

Where;
X = (360*(N-1))/365.24

EoT = (0.1236*SIN((PI()*X/180))-0.0043*COS((PI()*X /180))+0.1538*SIN(2*(PI()*X /180))+0.0608*COS(2*(PI()*X /180)))

Solar time = Time – EoT +(1.21*4/60) <<< -1 for day light saving>>>

(solar hours) hs =15*(Solar time -12)

Latitude angle (from web)= - 42.8806

(sun declination angle) Delta =23.45*SIN((PI()/180)*(360/365.24*(N+284)))

Elevation =ASIN(COS((PI()/180)*L)*COS((PI()/180)*Delta)*COS((PI()/180)* hs)+SIN((PI()
/180)*Delta)*SIN((PI()/180)*L))*180/PI()

Azimuth =ATAN(SIN((PI()/180)* hs)/(SIN((PI()/180)*L)*COS((PI()/180)* hs)-COS((PI()/180)
*L)*TAN((PI()/180)*Delta)))*180/PI()

Incidence angle =(ACOS(SQRT(1-(COS((PI()/180)*Elevation))^2)*((SIN((PI()/180)
*Azimuth))^2))))*180/PI()

From previous problem,
Receiver efficiency = 86.6%
Optical efficiency = 88.7%
N = number of day from 1st of January.

All equations are checked (from a reference book) except following equation as it is not given..

Power output=900*COS((PI()/180)*Incidence angle)*Receiver efficiency*Optical efficiency*
Thermal efficiency*20*4*30/1000

The Attempt at a Solution

Previous problem I got all correct answer, up to calculating incident angle column..

I considered the day light saving.
I have attached my excel file.

I double checked all the equations but can not find anything wrong..
I am pretty sure I got all right upto Gs part...

I guess something is wrong in calculating power output in terms of unit.

If I can get a right answer for a total electrical energy I can do other parts.

Can anyone find my problem?

Attachments

• problem.jpg
    problem.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 505
  • answer.jpg
    answer.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 465
  • Help.xlsx
    128.4 KB · Views: 262
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

1. What is the purpose of a solar energy collector?

A solar energy collector is a device that is designed to collect and absorb the sun's energy in order to convert it into usable heat or electricity. The purpose of a solar energy collector is to harness renewable energy from the sun to reduce dependence on non-renewable energy sources and decrease carbon emissions.

2. How does a solar energy collector work?

A solar energy collector works by using a series of reflective surfaces and absorptive materials to capture and concentrate sunlight. The collector absorbs the sun's energy and converts it into heat, which can then be used to heat water, air, or other fluids. This heat energy can also be converted into electricity using photovoltaic cells.

3. What are the main types of solar energy collectors?

The main types of solar energy collectors are flat-plate collectors, concentrating collectors, and photovoltaic cells. Flat-plate collectors are the most common and consist of a flat, black surface that absorbs sunlight. Concentrating collectors use mirrors or lenses to concentrate sunlight onto a smaller area, increasing the amount of heat produced. Photovoltaic cells use semiconducting materials to convert sunlight directly into electricity.

4. What factors affect the efficiency of a solar energy collector?

The efficiency of a solar energy collector can be affected by several factors, including the angle and orientation of the collector, the amount of sunlight available, the type and quality of materials used, and the design of the collector itself. Other factors such as dust and shading can also impact efficiency.

5. How can the efficiency of a solar energy collector be improved?

The efficiency of a solar energy collector can be improved through proper maintenance and cleaning to remove any dust or debris that may block sunlight. Additionally, using high-quality materials and optimizing the design of the collector can also increase efficiency. Regularly monitoring and adjusting the angle and orientation of the collector can also improve its efficiency by maximizing the amount of sunlight it receives.