Astrophysics in a Nutshell Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a hypothetical star with constant density and a classical, non-relativistic, ideal gas composition. The task is to determine the temperature profile of the star, with the use of the equation dT(r)/dr = (-3*L(r)*k(r)*ρ(r)) / (4∏*(r^2)*4*a*c*(T(r))^3). The individual discussing the problem attempted to identify which values on the right side of the equation were constant, but was unsure. They request a full explanation of the principles and equations involved in solving the problem.
fu11meta1

Homework Statement

Consider a hypothetical star of radius R, with density ρ that is constant, i.e. independent of radius. The star is composed of a classical, non relativistic, ideal gas of fully ionized hydrogen,
Find the the temperature profile (T(r))

Homework Equations

dT(r)/dr = ( (-3*L(r)*k(r)*ρ(r)) / (4∏*(r^2)*4*a*c*(T(r))^3)
so sorry this is written poorly

The Attempt at a Solution

So what I did is try and assume which of the values on the right side are constant so I could take them outside of the integral, but I'm not sure.Please explain principles and equations fully. I really want to understand this!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh sorry. I thought I did!
I edited it. I says find the temperature profile (T(r))

1. What is astrophysics in a nutshell problem?

Astrophysics in a nutshell problem is a theoretical question that seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the universe, and how they interact with each other to create the vast array of structures and phenomena that we observe in the cosmos. It is a fundamental question that seeks to explain the origins, evolution, and ultimate fate of the universe.

2. What are some of the main challenges in astrophysics in a nutshell problem?

The main challenges in astrophysics in a nutshell problem include understanding the nature of dark matter and dark energy, determining the origin and evolution of the universe, and explaining the behavior of black holes and other extreme objects in the universe. These challenges require advanced theories and technologies to study and understand the complex systems and processes that occur in the universe.

3. How do scientists study astrophysics in a nutshell problem?

Scientists study astrophysics in a nutshell problem through a combination of observations, theoretical models, and experiments. They use powerful telescopes and other instruments to observe and collect data on various objects and phenomena in the universe. They also use mathematical and computational models to simulate and understand the behavior of these objects and phenomena, and conduct experiments to test their theories and hypotheses.

4. What are some of the potential applications of solving astrophysics in a nutshell problem?

The potential applications of solving astrophysics in a nutshell problem are vast and far-reaching. Understanding the fundamental laws and principles of the universe could lead to breakthroughs in technology, energy, and medicine. It could also help us better understand our place in the universe and our potential for future space exploration and colonization.

5. How close are we to solving astrophysics in a nutshell problem?

While significant progress has been made in understanding various aspects of astrophysics in a nutshell problem, there is still much to uncover and explore. Some theories, such as the theory of relativity, have been extensively tested and proven, while others, such as the theory of quantum gravity, are still being developed and refined. It is an ongoing and challenging pursuit, and scientists continue to push the boundaries of our knowledge and understanding of the universe.