Astrophysics - tricky unit conversions?

In summary: So if you were to plot the position of the star over time, you would see a pattern of movement that looks something like this:In summary, the star was orbiting around the m101 at a particular radius and velocity. Thanks for the help!
t_n_p

Homework Statement

I've got a radius of 22.69kpc, and a velocity of 180km/s. I wish to find the angular rotation speed in units of arcsec/year.

I'm stuck at the moment

The Attempt at a Solution

Starting with the basic v=r[tex]\omega[/tex], I transpose to get [tex]\omega[/tex]=v/r.

For now, I'm going to convert all length units to parsec, and all time units to years.

velocity = 180km/s = (5.83*10^-12)pc/s = (1.84*10^-4)pc/year
radius = 22.69kpc = 22690pc

[tex]\omega[/tex] = [(1.84*10^-4)pc/year]/[22690pc] = (8.11*10^-9) yr^-1
since the units of parsec cancel

This is where I'm stuck, how do I ge the arcsec units in?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to convert from radians to degrees, and then to arcseconds (which is 1/3600 of a degree---1 arcminute is 1/60 of a degree, and 1 arcsecond is 1/60 of an arcminute)

Thanks for the reply.

So I'm guessing what I've done up to that point is correct?

i.e., after the parsecs cancel I actually have:

w = (8.11*10^-9) rad/yr

then I should convert to:

w = (xxxx) degrees/yr
w = (yyyy) arcsec/yr

Sound good?

I did the above and got an answer of:

w=0.0016712178 arcsec/year,

meaning it would take approx 600 years to rotate through 1".

I couldn't find any reference values, so just wondering if the answer sounds right (or is in the correct magnitude of some other known angular velocities)

I agree with the calculation. The answer makes sense if it is talking about a star orbiting in a galaxy. For comparison, our sun's revolution rate is the same order of magnitude, about 0.006 arcsec/year (based on an orbital period of 200 million years).

thanks for the reply.

for your information, it was a star orbiting around the m101 (pinwheel galaxy) at:
R25 (isophotal radius at 25 B-mag arcsec^-2) = 22.69kpc
Vmax (rotational velocity @ R25) = 180km/s

1. What is astrophysics?

Astrophysics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of celestial objects and phenomena, such as planets, stars, galaxies, and the universe as a whole. It uses principles of physics and mathematics to understand the physical processes and behaviors of these objects.

2. Why are unit conversions important in astrophysics?

Unit conversions are important in astrophysics because it involves measuring incredibly large distances, masses, and energies. These quantities often require using different units of measurement, and being able to convert between them accurately is crucial for making meaningful comparisons and calculations.

3. What are some common units used in astrophysics?

Some common units used in astrophysics include astronomical units (AU) for measuring distances within our solar system, light years (ly) for measuring distances between stars and galaxies, solar masses (M☉) for measuring the mass of stars and galaxies, and electron volts (eV) for measuring energy levels of particles.

4. How do you convert between different units in astrophysics?

To convert between different units in astrophysics, you can use conversion factors or dimensional analysis. Conversion factors are ratios that represent the relationship between two units, while dimensional analysis involves canceling out units to arrive at the desired unit. It is important to pay attention to units when performing calculations to avoid errors.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when doing unit conversions in astrophysics?

Some common mistakes to avoid when doing unit conversions in astrophysics include forgetting to convert between different prefixes (e.g. kilo, mega, giga), using the wrong conversion factor, and not paying attention to units in calculations. It is also important to use the correct number of significant figures in the final answer to ensure accuracy.