1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Astrosat - find maximum delay of light arrival from moon

1. Jan 21, 2007 #1
    ASTROSTAT satellite of 2 meter diameter will be in space in 2007. If it revolves around the earthat an altitude of 800 Km, find the maximum delay in light arrival from Moon at the satellite at different locations.

Is it as simple as adding 800km to distance of moon from earth and dividing it byspeed of light?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That depends. Do the satellite and the moon orbit in the same plane? If so, do you need to take into account the fact that for a part of the time the moon will be eclipsed by the Earth from the satellites view and light from it can't reach the satellite at all at this time?
  4. Jan 22, 2007 #3
    Well, Whats the same plane?? It wasnt specified whether the eclipse period should be taken in accout. What if I try to calculate it both ways?
  5. Jan 25, 2007 #4
    Please help me soon. If I get the velocity of this satellite, then what should I do next????
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?