Asymptotic Expansion of an Integral

In summary: I'm glad you found the power series approximation. It looks like it is very similar to Fourier Transforms or Laplace Transforms.
*FaerieLight*
I'm not exactly sure that what I want to do is an asymptotic expansion, but basically I would like to find a power series approximation in s of

-s [itex]\int[/itex] [itex]\frac{e^{-x^{2}}}{x-s}[/itex] dx

for large values of s.

The integral is meant to be from -∞ to +∞.

I can see that for large s, the denominator becomes approximately -s, and this cancels with the -s out the front of the integral, so that the whole thing is approximately equal to [itex]\sqrt{\pi}[/itex], but this is too much of an approximation. I would like to have some 'error' terms in there as well, after the [itex]\sqrt{\pi}[/itex], except I can't seem to get the right ones using Taylor expansions. Should I be looking to do asymptotic expansions instead? Or is there a way to do it with just power series?

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
That integral has a non-integrable singularity at x=s. Is it meant to be a Cauchy principal value?

Yes, I think it is. It's expansion is supposed to be

[itex]\sqrt{\pi}[/itex](1+[itex]\frac{1}{2s^{2}}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{3}{4s^{4}}[/itex]+ higher order terms)

I'm not really familiar with the Cauchy Principle Value.

Thanks!

To calculate the principal value of an "integral" with singularity at point s, you cut out the interval (s-e,s+e) and integrate over the rest of the line. Then you take the limit as e goes to 0.

For example, if your function is 1/x and your domain is [-1,1], then you have a non-integrable singularity at 0. So you cut out the interval (-e,e). You integrate over the rest of the domain and get zero in this case 1/x is odd. Then you take the limit as e goes down to zero.

That aside, you can generate the formula you want by doing a formal calculation that ignores the principal value nature of that integral. You are interested in the asymptotic behavior as s gets large, so substitute t=1/s and now you are interested in the behavior for small t. A power series jumps out naturally, and you can get the coefficients with integration by parts. You can probably combine the formal calculation with the definition of principal value and rigorously justify all the steps.

Another angle on this problem is that your integral is the Hilbert transform of a function that is its own Fourier transform. That might be exploitable for slick calculations and results. See the wikipedia page on the hilbert transform for more info.

Hi !
The asymptotic expansion is derived in attachment. The calculus involves the Dawson function.
This method is equivalent to the method using the Hilbert's transform of exp(-x²), which involves the erfi function. The known relationship between erfi and Dawson functions leads to the same final result.

Attachments

• Asymptotic expansion.JPG
    Asymptotic expansion.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 460
Last edited:
Thanks for your help! I've succeeded in deriving the power series approximation. I don't know about Hilbert Transforms yet, but it looks really nice, like Fourier Transforms or Laplace Transforms. Thanks for introducing it!

1. What is an asymptotic expansion of an integral?

An asymptotic expansion of an integral is a mathematical technique used to approximate the value of an integral as the variable of integration approaches a large or small value. It involves finding a series of terms that become increasingly accurate as the variable approaches infinity or zero, respectively.

2. When is an asymptotic expansion of an integral useful?

An asymptotic expansion of an integral is useful when the integrand (the function inside the integral) is complex and difficult to evaluate directly. It can also be used to find approximate solutions to problems involving integrals, such as in physics and engineering.

3. How is an asymptotic expansion of an integral calculated?

An asymptotic expansion of an integral is calculated using techniques from calculus, such as integration by parts and Taylor series expansion. The goal is to find a series of terms that can be added together to approximate the value of the integral to a desired degree of accuracy.

4. What are some potential limitations of an asymptotic expansion of an integral?

One limitation of an asymptotic expansion of an integral is that it only provides an approximation of the actual value, and the accuracy of the approximation depends on the number of terms included in the expansion. Additionally, it may not work for all types of integrands and can be quite challenging to calculate for highly complicated functions.

5. Can an asymptotic expansion of an integral be used to find an exact solution?

No, an asymptotic expansion of an integral can only provide an approximation of the actual value. It is not possible to find an exact solution using this method, as the goal is to find a series of terms that become increasingly accurate, but never exactly equal to the integral's value.