Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Asymptotic expansion of complex integrals?

1. Mar 18, 2006 #1
    Let,s suppose we have the next integral:

[tex]\int_{c-i\infty}^{c+i\infty}dsF(s)e^{sx} [/tex]

with c a real number..of course F(s) is so complicated that we can not evaluate it...:frown: :frown: :frown: first of all we make the change of variable s=c+iu so we would get the "new" integral:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}iduF(c+iu)e^{iux+cx} [/tex] being this a Fourier transform..my question is supposing x---->oo (infinity) ¿How could we evaluate it by a "Saddle point" method or other form similar to the one Laplace did to calculate the factorial?..thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What about using Stationary Phase Method?. I think it works.
  4. Mar 18, 2006 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Eljose asked about the "saddle point" method so I think he is doing stationary phase.
  5. Mar 19, 2006 #4
    Ummm..thanks for replying my problem is that for example when we have the integral:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dxe^{-sM(x)} [/tex]

where a is a big parameter (real) s------>oo, then we could use Laplace method to solve it, but my integral proposed has a complex integrand and is itself complex, i think that Cauchy developed a formula to deal with those integrals but i don,t know the results i have looked into the wikipedia or mathworld but have not found any information when the integral is complex.
  6. Mar 19, 2006 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try looking in some textbooks, anything dealing with exponential sums will have some methods to deal with exponential integrals (e.g. titchmarsh or ivic's zeta books).

A complex integral is just two real integrals.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?