At how many femtometers does strong force cease to exist?

In summary, the strong force loses power and becomes insignificant at a certain distance away from a quark.
Rorkster2
At 2.5 femtometer away from a quark the strong force is said to significantly loose power and become insignificant. At how many femtometers does the strong force completely loose any amount of tug?

Physics news on Phys.org
As usual, there is no single point where it gets exactly 0. But the force is decreasing so quickly that it gets completely irrelevant (and small compared to the electromagnetic force, for example) just some femtometers away.

mfb said:
As usual, there is no single point where it gets exactly 0. But the force is decreasing so quickly that it gets completely irrelevant (and small compared to the electromagnetic force, for example) just some femtometers away.

Ok. Is their any known way to find out the rate in which the force drops off? I.e. an equation of some sort?

Someone may correct me on this, but I think for long distances it should fall off roughly like exp(-r/r0)/r, where r0 is the Compton wavelength of the pion, which is about 1.5 femtometers.

@The_Duck I looked that up to find out what it ment and google didn't return anything.

In case the problem is notation, it means that at a distance r the strength of the strong force should be proportional to the function

[tex]\frac{e^{-r/r_0}}{r}[/tex]

where r0 is 1.5 femtometers. Here's a plot of this behavior: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=plot+exp(-r/1.5)/r,+r=0..10
In the plot, the x-axis is the distance in femtometers and the y-axis is proportional to the strength of the strong force

Ahh thanks a lot. In the graph the x-axis is length in femtometers and would Y be the strength? I'm pretty sure I get it I just want to be sure

Yes. Just keep in mind that the numbers on the y-axis don't mean anything; it's the shape of the graph that is meaningful.

The_Duck said:
Yes. Just keep in mind that the numbers on the y-axis don't mean anything; it's the shape of the graph that is meaningful.

You have rightfully earned the title the duck. Thank you

1. What is the strong force?

The strong force is one of the four fundamental forces of nature. It is responsible for holding the nucleus of an atom together by binding protons and neutrons together through the exchange of particles called gluons.

2. What is the significance of femtometers in relation to the strong force?

Femtometers (fm) are a unit of measurement used in particle physics to describe the size of subatomic particles. The strong force is only effective within a range of 1-3 femtometers, known as the "strong force range."

3. What happens if the distance between particles is greater than the strong force range?

If the distance between particles is greater than the strong force range, the strong force will cease to exist and the particles will no longer be bound together. This is why the nucleus of an atom can be split in nuclear reactions, as the particles are separated beyond the strong force range.

4. Is there a specific distance at which the strong force ceases to exist?

There is no exact distance at which the strong force ceases to exist. The range of the strong force can vary depending on the energy levels and number of particles involved.

5. How is the strong force related to the other fundamental forces?

The strong force is distinct from the other fundamental forces (electromagnetic, weak, and gravitational) and is responsible for binding particles together within the nucleus of an atom. However, at high energy levels, the strong force can merge with the other forces, creating a unified force called the "grand unified force."