At what point on the x-axis is the Electric Potential zero?

In summary, the problem involves finding the point or points on the x-axis where the electric potential is zero due to a 13.0nC charge at x = 0cm and a -1.1nC charge at 6cm. The equation used is V1 + V2 = 0, where V1 and V2 are the electric potentials at a point due to the two charges. Unlike the electric field, the potential does not change sign when going from one side of a point charge to the other, so the solution can be found for all x simultaneously. The results obtained are X0 = -.0655m, .05532m, .07109m for positions 1) to 3) respectively
Minhtran1092

Homework Statement

A 13.0nC charge is at x = 0cm and a -1.1nC charge is at 6cm. At what point or points on the x-axis is the electric potential zero?

Let X0 be a position on the x-axis
Let V1 be the electrical potential at a point due to the 13nC charge
Let V2 be the electrical potential at a point due to the -1.1nC charge

Homework Equations

V=k(q)*(1/r); k = Coulomb's constant, q = source charge for which at distance 'r' away, the electrical potential is V volts.

The Attempt at a Solution

There are three possible positions for which the electrical potential is 0:
1) To the left of the 13nC charge
2) Between 13nC charge and -1.1nC charge
3) To the right of the -1.1nC charge

For 1), I took the net voltage: V1 + V2 = 0 which is:
K(13E-9)*(X0) + K(-1.1E-9)*(X0) = 0, respectively. Simplifying the sum of two fractional terms, I only needed to find the X0 that would make the numerator 0 and thus obtain the X0 for which net Voltage is 0.

I applied similar calculation procedures for 2) and 3). My results were that X0 = -.0655m, .05532m, .07109m, 1) to 3) respectively.

Attached is a diagram of the problem solving approach I took.

Attachments

• Diagram.jpg
    Diagram.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 2,671
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.
Minhtran1092 said:

Homework Statement

A 13.0nC charge is at x = 0cm and a -1.1nC charge is at 6cm. At what point or points on the x-axis is the electric potential zero?

Let X0 be a position on the x-axis
Let V1 be the electrical potential at a point due to the 13nC charge
Let V2 be the electrical potential at a point due to the -1.1nC charge

Homework Equations

V=k(q)*(1/r); k = Coulomb's constant, q = source charge for which at distance 'r' away, the electrical potential is V volts.

The Attempt at a Solution

There are three possible positions for which the electrical potential is 0:
1) To the left of the 13nC charge
2) Between 13nC charge and -1.1nC charge
3) To the right of the -1.1nC charge

For 1), I took the net voltage: V1 + V2 = 0 which is:
K(13E-9)*(X0) + K(-1.1E-9)*(X0) = 0, respectively. Simplifying the sum of two fractional terms, I only needed to find the X0 that would make the numerator 0 and thus obtain the X0 for which net Voltage is 0.
I'm a little confused by what you did here. It's not clear what X0 is, and I don't see any fractional terms in your equation -- though I agree that there should be.

Also, for the electric potential, it is not necessary to break the solution process up into three regions. Unlike the electric field, the potential does not "flip sign" when going from one side of a point charge to the other. So you can just set
V1 + V2 = 0​
and solve for all x everywhere at once.

I applied similar calculation procedures for 2) and 3). My results were that X0 = -.0655m, .05532m, .07109m, 1) to 3) respectively.

Attached is a diagram of the problem solving approach I took.

1. What is Electric Potential?

Electric Potential is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a point in an electric field.

2. How is Electric Potential measured?

Electric Potential is measured in units of volts (V) using a voltmeter.

3. What does it mean for Electric Potential to be zero on the x-axis?

When Electric Potential is zero on the x-axis, it means that there is no potential difference between any two points on the x-axis. This can also be interpreted as the point being at the same electric potential energy as the reference point.

4. Is there a specific point on the x-axis where Electric Potential is always zero?

No, the point on the x-axis where Electric Potential is zero can vary depending on the electric field and the location of the reference point.

5. How does the Electric Potential change along the x-axis?

The Electric Potential can either increase or decrease along the x-axis depending on the direction of the electric field. If the electric field is directed towards the positive end of the x-axis, the Electric Potential will decrease. If the electric field is directed towards the negative end of the x-axis, the Electric Potential will increase.