Athlete Long-Jump Question, Don't Know Where I've Gone Wrong

• Thread starter lando45
  • Start date
In summary, an athlete executing a long jump leaves the ground at a 35° angle and travels 5.80 m. Her takeoff speed is 32.4 m/s.
lando45
An athlete executing a long jump leaves the ground at a 35° angle and travels 5.80 m. What was her takeoff speed?

I was set this question and have spent about an hour trying to solve it but just can't come up with the correct answer. I found this formula:

Angular Velocity w = 2Π / T
35 = (2 x 3.14) / T
T = 0.179
V = D / T
V = 5.80 / 0.179
V = 32.4

But this is wrong...is there another formula I should be using?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to find the vertical componant of the velocity, by using trigonometry.
Then you use suvat to find the time when distance is zero again (i.e. when the athlete hits the ground).

Now you know the time when he hits the ground, and using trigonometry, you can find the horizontal componant of the velocity. Then find how far they have traveled at the time when they hit the ground again

lando45 said:
An athlete executing a long jump leaves the ground at a 35° angle and travels 5.80 m. What was her takeoff speed?
I was set this question and have spent about an hour trying to solve it but just can't come up with the correct answer. I found this formula:
Angular Velocity w = 2Π / T
35 = (2 x 3.14) / T
T = 0.179
V = D / T
V = 5.80 / 0.179
V = 32.4

But this is wrong...is there another formula I should be using?

In the question, it is given that the angle at which the athlete leaves the ground is 35°.
This is entirely different from angular velocity.
Also, don't try to solve problems by blindly applying formulas.

For example, in this question, what happens to the athlete during the jump and why? Can you find what forces are acting on him during the jump along the horizontal and vertical directions?

Remember that the time in the air only has to do with the vertical componant, and the distance only has to do with the horizontal one.

Remember the formula for the range of a projectile. thus you will get the horizontalcomponent as well as the takeoff velocity since the angle the initial velocity vector makes with the surface is already given.
R = v^2sin(2theta)/g

1. What is the athlete long-jump question and why is it important?

The athlete long-jump question is a common problem faced by athletes who struggle to improve their long-jump distance. It is important because the long-jump is a key event in track and field and can greatly impact an athlete's overall performance.

2. What are some common mistakes that athletes make in long-jump and how can they be corrected?

Some common mistakes include using incorrect technique, not properly warming up, and not having enough explosiveness in the jump. These can be corrected by working with a coach or trainer to improve form and technique, following a proper warm-up routine, and incorporating strength and power exercises into training.

3. How can an athlete determine where they are going wrong in their long-jump technique?

One way to determine where an athlete may be going wrong is to analyze their jump using video footage. This can help identify any flaws in technique or form that may be hindering their performance. It can also be helpful to work with a coach or trainer who can provide feedback and make corrections.

4. Are there any specific training exercises that can help improve long-jump distance?

Yes, there are several exercises that can help improve long-jump distance. These include plyometrics, strength training, and explosive movements such as box jumps and broad jumps. It is important to work with a trainer or coach to ensure proper form and avoid injury.

5. How long does it typically take to see improvements in long-jump distance with consistent training?

The amount of time it takes to see improvements in long-jump distance can vary depending on the individual's starting point and level of training. With consistent and proper training, most athletes can expect to see improvements within a few weeks to a few months. It is important to be patient and not get discouraged, as progress may not always be linear.