Projectile Motion Long Jump Help

In summary, an athlete executing a long jump at a 30 degree angle travels 7.80m. Part (a) asks for the takeoff speed, and part (b) asks how much longer the jump would be if the speed was increased by 5%. The conversation then shifts to a separate problem involving projectile motion and finding the time and displacement given initial velocity and angle.
singlish
An athlete executing a long jump leaves the ground at a 30 degree angle and travels 7.80m.
(a). What was the takeoff speed?
(b). If this speed were increased by just 5.0 percent, how much longer would the jump be?

I'm having some troubles with part a. I've been struggling to comprehend projectile motion and I've been trying to find T using different methods but none of them work. I eventually came up with 9s using cosine, but I can't find initial velocity now. Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
x=(ucos30)t
t=2usin30/g
R=(u^2sin(2*30))/g

guys.. can you please help me with this simple problem my instructors gave us for home work... its about projectile motion..

what is the time if the displacement is at 21 meters having a 35degrees angle with the original velocity of 100m/s.

What is projectile motion in the context of long jump?

Projectile motion refers to the path that an object takes when it is launched into the air and is only affected by gravity. In the case of long jump, the athlete's body is the projectile and its motion is influenced by both the initial velocity and the force of gravity.

How does the takeoff angle affect the distance of a long jump?

The takeoff angle is the angle at which an athlete launches themselves off the ground in the long jump. The optimal takeoff angle for maximum distance is around 20 degrees. Any angle lower or higher than this will result in shorter distances due to a decrease in horizontal velocity or a decrease in the height of the jump respectively.

What factors influence the initial velocity in a long jump?

The initial velocity in a long jump is influenced by the speed at which the athlete runs down the runway, the length of their last stride, and their takeoff angle. A faster run-up and a longer last stride will result in a higher initial velocity, which can lead to a longer jump.

How does air resistance affect long jump distance?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can slow down the motion of an athlete in the long jump. This is because as the athlete moves through the air, they push against air molecules which create a resistance force. This can result in a decrease in distance, especially for athletes with a larger surface area and less aerodynamic form.

What are some strategies to improve long jump distance?

To improve long jump distance, athletes can focus on increasing their speed and power through strength training and plyometric exercises. They can also work on their technique, such as maintaining a proper takeoff angle and executing a strong and controlled landing. Additionally, reducing air resistance through proper body positioning and clothing can also lead to longer jumps.