Exciting distance problem Only 2 variables are given.

• Thread starter Wolftacular
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variables
In summary: The Attempt at a SolutionI made a right triangle with a 28° angle in the proper corner and established that the starting X velocity was X(cos(28)) and starting Y velocity was X(cos(28)) where X is the hypotenuse (initial speed). I've no idea what to do or if I'm on the right track. I feel like the problem should be giving me more stuff, and at the same time I can kind of see how the logic would work but I've no idea how to apply it.You have a known initial velocity in the y-direction, and you have a known acceleration in the y-direction. Both have an effect on the function of position versus time. You
Wolftacular

Homework Statement

An athlete executing a long jump leaves the ground at a 28° angle and travels 7.80 m. What was the takeoff speed?

Xo = 0
X = 7.80m
Ay = -9.8m/s^2

Homework Equations

V=Vo+at

X=Xo+VoT+(1/2)AT^2

V^2=V^2o+2A(X-Xo)

The Attempt at a Solution

I made a right triangle with a 28° angle in the proper corner and established that the starting X velocity was H(cos(28)) and starting Y velocity was H(sin(28)) where H is the hypotenuse (initial speed). I've no idea what to do or if I'm on the right track. I feel like the problem should be giving me more stuff, and at the same time I can kind of see how the logic would work but I've no idea how to apply it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The y-component of the velocity should be X sin28. Since you have your component vectors, try to think of which one determines how long the athlete is in the air. That should get you set up.

Wolftacular said:

Homework Statement

An athlete executing a long jump leaves the ground at a 28° angle and travels 7.80 m. What was the takeoff speed?

Xo = 0
X = 7.80m
Ay = -9.8m/s^2

Homework Equations

V=Vo+at

X=Xo+VoT+(1/2)AT^2

V^2=V^2o+2A(X-Xo)

The Attempt at a Solution

I made a right triangle with a 28° angle in the proper corner and established that the starting X velocity was X(cos(28)) and starting Y velocity was X(cos(28)) where X is the hypotenuse (initial speed). I've no idea what to do or if I'm on the right track. I feel like the problem should be giving me more stuff, and at the same time I can kind of see how the logic would work but I've no idea how to apply it.

Good start.

Check this for some more hints.

http://cnx.org/content/m13847/latest/

And if you want to play with an applet

http://galileo.phys.virginia.edu/classes/109N/more_stuff/Applets/ProjectileMotion/enapplet.html

Last edited by a moderator:
WJSwanson said:
The y-component of the velocity should be X sin28. Since you have your component vectors, try to think of which one determines how long the athlete is in the air. That should get you set up.

Yeah! Haha, typo, sorry! That's kind of what I was thinking but I'm unsure of how exactly to use what I have. Like I said, in my head I can see it all happening but I don't know where to start. Would I have to carry my hypotenuse variable all the way to the end of the problem and then do some sort of plugging into get my final result?

You have a known initial velocity in the y-direction, and you have a known acceleration in the y-direction. Both have an effect on the function of position versus time. You can use the kinematic equations (or integration, if that better suits your fancy) to determine how long the athlete is airborne.

Last edited:
Thank you WJSwanson! I was lazy but you encouraged me to go through the formula! So this is what happened:

I listed my known variables as follows:
H = hypotenuse = initial velocity at 28° = final result

x0 = 0
x = 7.8 meters
vx0 = vx = Hcos(28)
a = 0

t = ?

y0 = 0
y = 0
vy0 = Hsin(28)
vy = ?
a = 9.8 m/s2

I set up one of the kinematic formulas with what I knew about y motion:
y = y0 + v0t + (1/2)at2
0 = Hsin(28)t - 4.9t2
-Hsin(28)t = -4.9t2

(Hsin(28))/4.9 = t

As you can see, my time still had an unknown variable (H) in it, and I could've plugged it right into the kinematic for X, but I didn't want to deal with any squares so I did the exact same thing I did with Y (kinematic equation with what I knew except for t), and got another t result. I equaled these two results and solved for H.

Final answer: 9.60 m/s

:smile:

I'm getting a bit bleary-eyed at this point because it's a Friday night and the wife and I have been drinking, so I don't know that I'd be very reliable on checking your calculations. Your argument looks about right, and the dimensions came out correctly.

Did you plug your derived values back into v0 = v <cos[itex]\theta[/itex] , sin[itex]\theta[/itex]>, i.e., 9.60m/s <cos28 , sin28> and work backward to check your answer? If you did (and you can use derivatives with respect to time to find the time t at which your athlete hits max height and then double it to find total transit time, etc.) and find total horizontal displacement? Because if it comes back as [itex]\Delta[/itex]x = 7.80m, then you're golden.

FAQ: Exciting distance problem Only 2 variables are given.

What is an exciting distance problem?

An exciting distance problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves determining the distance between two points using only two variables. It is typically used in geometry and involves finding the distance between two points on a graph.

What are the two variables used in an exciting distance problem?

The two variables used in an exciting distance problem are typically the coordinates of the two points on the graph. These coordinates can be represented as (x₁, y₁) and (x₂, y₂).

How is an exciting distance problem solved?

An exciting distance problem is solved using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In an exciting distance problem, the two points form the endpoints of the hypotenuse, and the lengths of the other two sides can be calculated using the given variables.

What is the importance of an exciting distance problem in science?

An exciting distance problem is important in science because it is used to determine the distance between two points in space, which is crucial in fields such as astronomy and physics. It also helps in understanding the relationship between variables and how they affect distance.

Are there any real-world applications of an exciting distance problem?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of an exciting distance problem. For example, it can be used in navigation systems to determine the distance between two locations, in surveying to measure distances between objects, and in architecture to calculate the dimensions of a building.

Back