Atmospheric Pressure and Mercury in a Test Tube

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
yenhan10
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
The problem statement



Recently I came across this problem and couldn't understand it.

I know that in situation 1, the length of the specific place will be decreased; In situation 2, it will be increased.

Can someone help me here? Thanks first!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
yenhan10 said:
The problem statement



Recently I came across this problem and couldn't understand it.

I know that in situation 1, the length of the specific place will be decreased; In situation 2, it will be increased.

Can someone help me here? Thanks first!

Welcome to the PF.

With problems like this, you need to draw a free body diagram (FBD). For each situation, draw the forces that are acting on the mercury blob.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What holds the mercury in the specified locations in all the cases? Why the difference?
 
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

With problems like this, you need to draw a free body diagram (FBD). For each situation, draw the forces that are acting on the mercury blob.

Hi do you mean this?


I need to know exactly what are the lengths for both specific situation...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
voko said:
What holds the mercury in the specified locations in all the cases? Why the difference?

Hi I'm not sure. I was given this problem in a practice. Maybe assuming there's an unknown gas inside? Situation 2 might be held by the atmospheric pressure? I have to find out the exact length covered by mercury.. Help!
 
Observe that in situations 1, 2 and 3, in the first picture, atmospheric pressure is always present on the open end of the tube, and pushes the mercury inward. What is its force?

But the mercury is stationary in all the cases. Why?