Attempted simulation of Hong-Ou-Mandel effect

• Thread starter tim1608
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simulation
In summary, the speaker is seeking help with simulating the Hong-Ou-Mandel effect in an Excel spreadsheet. They have provided a screenshot of the spreadsheet and are hoping for assistance in understanding what they may be doing wrong. The person responding suggests checking the formulas by setting the sheet to "show formula" and adjusting column widths if necessary. The formulas used in the spreadsheet are also outlined.
tim1608
Hi Cthugha

In my previous thread which has now been closed, you mentioned the Hong-Ou-Mandel effect. I have attempted to simulate it in an Excel spreadsheet but I have not managed to obtain the correct-looking results. I have attached a Jpeg of the spreadsheet and would be very grateful if you could have a look at it. I am hoping that you will firstly understand what I am trying to do in the spreadsheet and then let me know what I am doing wrong. I may be basing the spreadsheet on completely wrong assumptions or interpretations of the Hong-Ou-Mandel effect.

Thank you very much.

Attachments

• Attempted simulation of Hong-Ou-Mandel effect (work in progress).jpg
    Attempted simulation of Hong-Ou-Mandel effect (work in progress).jpg
    51 KB · Views: 436
Physics news on Phys.org
Might help if you set the sheet to "show formula" in order to check them.

Use Ctrl + ` (Control grave, grave is the accent character to the left of the 1 key) to apply to the whole sheet.

If you do this, you may need to adjust the column widths, some of them may increase.

Hi Bahamagreen

Thank you for your reply.

There are no complicated formulas. It is just as follows:

Column A: absolute values
Column B: absolute values
Column D = Column A
Column E = -Column A
Column F = Column B
Column G = -Column B
Column I = Column D + Column G
Column J = Column E + Column F

1. What is the Hong-Ou-Mandel effect?

The Hong-Ou-Mandel effect is a phenomenon in quantum optics where two identical photons entering a beamsplitter at the same time will always exit together in the same output port, regardless of their initial polarization. This effect demonstrates the quantum nature of light and has important implications for quantum computing and communication.

2. How is the Hong-Ou-Mandel effect simulated?

The Hong-Ou-Mandel effect can be simulated using a variety of methods, including optical setups with beamsplitters and detectors, and mathematical models such as quantum field theory. The specific method used will depend on the purpose of the simulation and the resources available.

3. Why is the Hong-Ou-Mandel effect important?

The Hong-Ou-Mandel effect is important because it provides evidence for the wave-particle duality of light and demonstrates the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics. It also has practical applications in quantum information processing, such as creating entanglement between photons for use in quantum communication and computing.

4. What are the challenges in simulating the Hong-Ou-Mandel effect?

One of the main challenges in simulating the Hong-Ou-Mandel effect is the complexity of the underlying quantum physics. It requires a deep understanding of quantum mechanics and the ability to manipulate and measure individual photons. Additionally, experimental setups can be difficult to control and can introduce unwanted noise, making it challenging to replicate the effect precisely.

5. How can the Hong-Ou-Mandel effect be used in practical applications?

The Hong-Ou-Mandel effect has potential practical applications in quantum information processing, such as in quantum cryptography and quantum computing. It can also be used in precision measurement techniques, such as interferometry, due to its sensitivity to small changes in the input photons. Further research and development in this area may lead to more advanced technologies in the future.