Attitude about working in teens. Common or not?

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
In summary: I worked there for 3 summers.In summary, the teenager is not doing any of the work that was asked of him, and is not providing any satisfactory explanation for why he is unable to do the work.
I think culture is changing .. but there are always a lot who would slack off. When I was young, I took some manual jobs (heavy) beyond my abilities but I did them anyway and my employers were always above satisfied with my work.

Physics news on Phys.org
The kid just rode by on his mountain-bike twice in about 15 minutes, looking over here each time. What's his problem? Swing in and ask if he can make some more money. I have a stone-surrounded raised flower-bed garden on my plate, as well as the firewood, and I explained that to the kid in detail. I'll have to tackle that later without him, apparently. I have stockpiled the larger stones and I can place them with my tractor pretty effectively. It would be nice to have another pair of eyes in front of the loader bucket, but if I can't trust the kid to even show up, I need to figure out a better way to do everything by myself.

Turbo, the way ppl do such jobs here is usually for a flat fee. A price is negotiated, and then the work gets done very fast. Hourly wages suck.

Ppl in the countryside know very well the average time it takes to do such works. They negotiate a price and expect the work to be done in a reasonable amount of time. Usually no one pulls the kittens tail when working, they just get the work done so they get the pay, and move fast to another job.

So maybe if you hire hands you should do the same.

rootX said:
I think culture is changing .. but there are always a lot who would slack off. When I was young, I took some manual jobs (heavy) beyond my abilities but I did them anyway and my employers were always above satisfied with my work.
I took on snow-removal jobs that were too big for me, and I'd hire only my friends that would work their hearts out. Back when $1.25 was minimum wage, it was cool to make $5.00/hr doing stuff that I had to do at home anyway.

turbo-1 said:
The kid just rode by on his mountain-bike twice in about 15 minutes, looking over here each time. What's his problem? Swing in and ask if he can make some more money. I have a stone-surrounded raised flower-bed garden on my plate, as well as the firewood, and I explained that to the kid in detail. I'll have to tackle that later without him, apparently. I have stockpiled the larger stones and I can place them with my tractor pretty effectively. It would be nice to have another pair of eyes in front of the loader bucket, but if I can't trust the kid to even show up, I need to figure out a better way to do everything by myself.

New kid or putting simple job ad somewhere ..?

I would like to point out that I remember being nervous about working at neighbors houses. I am not sure what you could do to get him to come over. Maybe he likes working with no one watching him? Although from the sounds of it you aren't.

KalamMekhar said:
I would like to point out that I remember being nervous about working at neighbors houses. I am not sure what you could do to get him to come over. Maybe he likes working with no one watching him? Although from the sounds of it you aren't.
I never monitored him. When he showed up, I'd note the time, and when he decided to go home, I'd subtract the difference and pay him in cash for the time he spent here. I told him that if he came early or ended late, I would accept his tally of hours worked and pay him based on his statements, with no substantiation. He's gotten a free ride from me, IMO, and that's gone.

turbo-1 said:
I never monitored him. When he showed up, I'd note the time, and when he decided to go home, I'd subtract the difference and pay him in cash for the time he spent here. I told him that if he came early or ended late, I would accept his tally of hours worked and pay him based on his statements, with no substantiation. He's gotten a free ride from me, IMO, and that's gone.

Weird situation. for 7.50$ an hour, that was a darn good paying job. Easy too!

Out of curiosity, what is the temperature? I realized you said you were in Maine, and I'm in New Jersey and am curious as to how the summer in Maine is, comparatively speaking. Now, I am a teenager, so take my view however you will. From my point of view the most irritating aspect is his laziness and lack of commitment to his word.
I do not necessarily get the obsession with work work work work work, start young work for more and more money and continue to do so until your old, start as young as possible work. I work, and I did work sporadically when I was younger, and I would do snow jobs, leaves etc, but I am in the situation now where I do not want to constantly work because I would rather focus on personal development at this point whilst working just enough to pay for what I need to pay for, get an education and worry about working later. I have my whole life to work, for me it is just I don't buy too many things, and as of now I still live with my parents so the obsession with money is not there, I just pay for CC and car insurance/gas etc.
Now, that said, the majority of kids ARE indeed obsessed with more and more money for more and more things, and so their working should be better. Though I wouldn't want to work a lot, If I agreed to work for something, then I would definatley get the work done in a prompt manner. If I agreed to work for someone, I would feel embarassed if I just sat out there lazing around and doing nothing.
Haha, come to think of it, I can somewhat empathize with you because where I work (A BK at a rest stop haha) they tend to hire a lot of younger teens, freshman/sophomores in high school, 14-16, and they absolutley SUCK at working (Not EVERY one, but a lot).Everything is done at a constipated garbageting pace, and they typically clean half-assed, and disappear for 10^100 "Bathroom Breaks". Well there you go, sorry for my little rant...

The heat wave has broken and the humidity has been tolerable for over a week now. We're getting low 80s in mid-day. I have COPD and asthma, so if I can stand to work out there, a healthy teen-ager should have no problem working. A good friend of mine has hunting camp nearby, and he lives near the coast, so he asked me who would be a good person to mow the lawns there throughout the season. I gave him the name of my 70+ year old neighbor. Bob takes care of yardwork, shoveling off roofs, etc for several camps around here. He is retired, but he likes to keep busy and he is very reliable. My friend thanked me very profusely for hooking him up with Bob. He does good work, and when he goes to camp to mow, he checks the doors, windows, outbuildings, etc for signs of break-ins (a common problem for remote camps around here).

Sounds like he is maybe spoiled and never really had to work for anything.
Maybe if you took the opposite approach, went out there with him, and kept him company while doing what ever other little jobs you have? I'm not sure that you would really want to invest the time at this point but he may just need the right motivation to keep coming back. Money doesn't seem to be it.

Just don't make the mistake of thinking that all teenagers are like that. It'd be like us teenagers thinking all adults were a bunch of workaholics, because we saw one person working 70+ hours a week. (I'd love, once I'm out of college, to use a 40-50 hour range, but come on, you need some time for social activities.)

Char. Limit said:
Just don't make the mistake of thinking that all teenagers are like that. It'd be like us teenagers thinking all adults were a bunch of workaholics, because we saw one person working 70+ hours a week. (I'd love, once I'm out of college, to use a 40-50 hour range, but come on, you need some time for social activities.)
I don't assume that all teenagers are like that, because I certainly wasn't. I'm afraid that our culture is degrading the work-ethic in our young people, though. We put them in a protective cocoon for most of their (extended) childhood and tell them that if they want to be really successful, they have to stay in school for even more years until they have some advanced degrees to hang on the wall and THEN start a career.

Over 30 years ago, my wife and I rented a run-down 300 acre farm just to have a place to stay that wasn't in any mid-town area. It was rough, and it was cheap, and I had to cut and split over 20 cords of wood/year just to keep from freezing (uninsulated brick house). We made that choice. While we were there (saving money for a house of our own), I helped a close neighbor build a stone house for him and his new bride. I'd get home from work and either start a new mixer of mortar, or take the tractor out to strip more stones off the walls in the woods, and when he got home, we'd try to add another tier to the walls before night fell. Our wives would bring us sandwiches and a few cold beers every night. That was hard work, but we were both used to it.

I wonder if we'll ever see that work-ethic in our young again. I see it in farm families around here, but I fear that's fading.

Since I get to see about a hundred teenagers pass by me every year, I thought I'd get this in:

There has always been the full spectrum of laziness vs industrialism among the adolescent, and I don't think the distribution has changed that much. I do think that the options have changed, though, and those kids with a good work ethic are also likely to not be "chumps." That is, when they get the better offer (easier work, more money) they grab it. Very often their parents have located a summer internship, or the like.

I have the "honor" of writing about two dozen letters of recommendation for colleges each year. These are usually for my best Physics students, which usually means the best students in the entire school; I often get copies of their resumes, and they are crammed full of jobs and internships, sometimes starting at the age of 10. I do not recall ever seeing "wood stacking" or anything similar. Coastal Connecticut is very different from inland Maine, for certain, but there might be a similar trend.

Turbo, it seems that this particular teen has the option of not needing to do this work. That along with the option of showing up whenever he wants equals the option of doing this work whenever he needs to. Which equals "never."

How many teens (in total) are nearby you?

Last edited:
I'm afraid that our culture is degrading the work-ethic in our young people, though. We put them in a protective cocoon for most of their (extended) childhood and tell them that if they want to be really successful, they have to stay in school for even more years until they have some advanced degrees to hang on the wall and THEN start a career.

Exactly. I'm 20 and I haven't worked a day in my life. I'm waiting for this damn EE course to finish so I can finally do something since any non qualified part time job would rather hire a much cheaper 15-16 year old than me.

Blenton said:
Exactly. I'm 20 and I haven't worked a day in my life.

How did you survive during school with no money, or during vacations from college?

cristo said:
How did you survive during school with no money, or during vacations from college?

This.

If I didn't have a job in my teens, I wouldn't nearly have what I have now.

To clarify, the kid told me that he wanted to take driver's instruction and that he needed $400 to pay for it. I thought about the stuff that I needed to get done, like stacking firewood, building a stone-bordered raised-bed flower garden for my wife, etc, and told him that I'd hire him. After he had stacked a little bit of my outside firewood inside the shady, well-ventilated shed, he worked a bit on stacking the outside wood-pile, and then stopped showing up, with no phone calls, etc. I'm pretty disappointed with that attitude and the lack of personal responsibility.

There are no other teen-agers around for miles. If I needed the help, I'd hire his older sister, who just graduated and still lives at home, but this summer she's doing filing and secretarial work for a law office that her mother works at.

Hmph. While I probably wouldn't enjoy it if I needed money and you offered me this job I would certainly jump at the chance and I would be at your place every day. I'm 21 now but that's beside the point.

I started working when I was 16 at a warehouse, they just needed someone to remove the brush around the fence I got paid $10 an hour. The work was really hard (this was a HUGE brush going along the entire property) but I showed up every day and worked for 8 hours taking an hour break. I've worked 2 fulltime jobs since then and at the same time I wasgoing to high-school and tutoring people. It was brutal, especially in the mornings, but hey I really needed the money. (no point in devulging further info) So I don't think all teens share this lack of work-ethic or responsibility.

The thing that bothers me about thisstory turbo isn't the kids lack of enthusiasm to work for you stacking wood. It's the fact that he agreed to do it and has been blowing you off with excuses. He should either honour his agreementw ith you and complete the job or he should go to your home and talk to you about what's up. You can hardly blame him for not 'wanting' to stack wood but he certainly should man up.

As well turbo, after reading more of the thread... I noticed you talked about how back in the day you did hard labour. You would probably be surprised at the amount of teens that would be into doing some hard labour... especially if beer and sandwiches served by beautiful ladies were involved :tongue:. I certainly know that most of my friends would do this work for free, just to be helping and 'having a good time' of working with people. It would increase a lot of there were money involved.

I don't think you should judge all of teenagedom with a few bad experiences.

zomgwtf said:
Hmph. While I probably wouldn't enjoy it if I needed money and you offered me this job I would certainly jump at the chance and I would be at your place every day. I'm 21 now but that's beside the point.
That's part of what puzzles me. We have a really high unemployment rate in this county, and I could hire adults to do this work, with no problem. Instead, I'll do the work myself, and on really humid days when my breathing is impaired, I'll just stay inside and chill. Building flower-beds and stacking wood aren't particularly time-sensitive chores.

I'm just really disappointed in this kid's attitude and lack of responsibility.

As for what something like this would look like on a resume, if I had to choose from several applicants with no relevant work experience, I'd certainly give a lot of extra weight to a resume that included things like summer jobs doing landscaping or lawn-maintenance or (especially) haying and mucking out stalls on a dairy farm. I'd be pretty leery of a new high-school graduate that had never had any summer jobs or after-school jobs.

Hmmm,

Not being from your hired hands era, I am not qualified to address his lack of motivation to stacking wood for 7.50 $ an hour. I worked numerous odd jobs, painting, mowing lawns, etc as a kid for extra money. I was never handed anything in life, and did not grow up with "enablers" who took the slack if I didn't contribute when asked to. You mentioned adults who are unemployed in your town who would work for that, how about this then, make a list of things you couldn't do yourself, say a couple of days work of work to make it worthwhile to someone (who is mature/responsible) and spread the word to a few neighbors of the job. I would be willing to be it wouldn't be too long till someone took you up on the offer.

Improvise and adapt, at the end of the day, it always seems to be the strategy that I end up using.

Rhody... :smile:

Yeah, Rhody, I could get adults to work for minimum wage in cash with no problem, if I needed to get these things done and couldn't do them myself. I can do all the things I need to do, though the weather can slow me down a bit. I hired the kid (or at least tried to) because he told me he needed money for driving lessons. Since I was going through a bad spell (respiratory problems) at the time, I thought it would be a good fit for both of us. Wrong.

So this guy approached you first? Sounds like bad manners being the worst problem.

Up to you of course, and this might be the teacher in me talking, but I would call the parents to let them know why the kids services are no longer wanted. They might be interested in addressing some aspect of his conduct. I have found that 95% of contact with parents has had positive results. This ain't school, but it is a "learning experience."

Yeah, I was out walking my dog and ran into the kid, and he told me that he needed to earn $400 for driving lessons. I wasn't inclined to make him an offer right them, but when my wife got home, I told her what he said and she said I should hire him as-needed to get some chores done around here. Between tending the garden, weeding, mowing, and indoor chores, I can keep pretty busy, so some extra hands at times could be helpful. I don't know his parents very well, except that they are conservative fundamentalist Christians. Given that, I thought the kid would work out OK, but I was wrong about that.

BTW, he could have earned the entire $400 and more in just a couple of weeks if he had been willing to work. I still have another 2-1/2 cords of firewood to split and stack and a large stockpile of stones to make my wife's flower-bed with. He wouldn't have had to do any serious lifting, because I have a tractor to set the largest stones with. It would have been nice to have somebody on the front side of the loader bucket to let me know when I had the stone properly aligned for dumping.

Last edited:
Chi Meson said:
So this guy approached you first? Sounds like bad manners being the worst problem.

Up to you of course, and this might be the teacher in me talking, but I would call the parents to let them know why the kids services are no longer wanted. They might be interested in addressing some aspect of his conduct. I have found that 95% of contact with parents has had positive results. This ain't school, but it is a "learning experience."

I once had a father who stopped by and asked me how I got his teen aged son to work so hard.

I told him that I noticed that his son, David, had a bit of a problem with ADD. A big job left him a bit overwhelmed. He needed supervision. I broke the work down into smaller segments instead of just turning him loose for long periods on his own. He thrived with a structured day.

turbo-1 said:
Yeah, I was out walking my dog and ran into the kid, and he told me that he needed to earn $400 for driving lessons. I wasn't inclined to make him an offer right them, but when my wife got home, I told her what he said and she said I should hire him as-needed to get some chores done around here. Between tending the garden, weeding, mowing, and indoor chores, I can keep pretty busy, so some extra hands at times could be helpful. I don't know his parents very well, except that they are conservative fundamentalist Christians. Given that, I thought the kid would work out OK, but I was wrong about that.

BTW, he could have earned the entire $400 and more in just a couple of weeks if he had been willing to work. I still have another 2-1/2 cords of firewood to split and stack and a large stockpile of stones to make my wife's flower-bed with. He wouldn't have had to do any serious lifting, because I have a tractor to set the largest stones with. It would have been nice to have somebody on the front side of the loader bucket to let me know when I had the stone properly aligned for dumping.

If the young man lives near by I certainly wouldn't give up on him yet. Most of us who started working early on manual labor tasks had role models in our parents and family.

That isn't necessarily true these days. You could turn out to be the role model he needs. Be patient, it may pay off when you really really need someone to help with a job.

Then again the kid could be a total flake.:biggrin:

He's unfailingly polite and quiet. I haven't given up on him entirely, but I'm not going to offer him an open-ended job in which he can set his own hours and work unsupervised. Apparently that's too much to ask of him. If I ask him to help me with something in the future, it will be a supervised job with set hours. Maybe that will work.

turbo-1 said:
I haven't given up on him entirely, but I'm not going to offer him an open-ended job in which he can set his own hours and work unsupervised. Apparently that's too much to ask of him. If I ask him to help me with something in the future, it will be a supervised job with set hours. Maybe that will work.
Maybe some astronomy research would break the ice. :devil:

dlgoff said:
Maybe some astronomy research would break the ice. :devil:
Unfortunately, his mother uses scented fabric softener so he'd put me in the hospital if I tried to work with him indoors. Plus, Hyper-Leda, N.E.D. and IRSA are on slow-as-death servers, so I have a lot of wait-time, anyway. :biggrin:

Mu naught said:
Probably because you're paying him garbage wages and expecting him to work hard in the heat. He could get a better paying job in an air-conditioned store sitting on his butt, why is he going to bust his *** because you're too lazy to do the work yourself?

Wow, IMO this post says it all, the bird in the bush is better than the bird in hand anymore. What has happened to the concept that wages should be based on the employees value to the employer?

Stacking wood is not hard work, especially when it is cut and split already and the heat has no bearing, since it has already been stated that the kid could show up when he wanted, such as before or after the heat of the day. I guess as they say everything is relative, if one has never worked a hard job, then any job may be considered hard or even too hard.

'Garbage' wages are all that can be expected with garbage skills, everyone has to start somewhere and 7.50 under the table is more than a fair price for unskilled labor. I would have offered him a certain amount, like say 40 bucks completed, that way if he busts his butt he gets more per hour, if not he gets less/ hour, and if he doesn't complete it he is owed nothing. It might help him see how his actions correlate to his rewards.

Turbo-1 is not to blame at all, except maybe for being too generous, the kid he had an agreement with didnt live up to his side of the deal. Not only is his word no good, he has no work ethic and it is not turbo-1s fault it is the kid and his parents fault. They are definitely raising someone incapable of self government, just another one of the entitlement generation, imo.

Jasongreat said:
Turbo-1 is not to blame at all, except maybe for being too generous, the kid he had an agreement with didnt live up to his side of the deal. Not only is his word no good, he has no work ethic and it is not turbo-1s fault it is the kid and his parents fault. They are definitely raising someone incapable of self government, just another one of the entitlement generation, imo.
I don't want to think too badly of the kid, or give up on him entirely. His brother has gone into basic training, his sister and mother both work in a law office and his father works some long hours as a crane operator, so he's got no ride. He's pretty much stuck at home every day, miles from town, with no driver's license. I figured he'd be glad to pick up some jobs, pay for his driver's school, and get his license so he could get around on his own.

Another neighbor is ready to put an addition on his house for his daughter and her two little girls. That could have given the kid a chance to earn even more money while we are framing and sheathing the addition, but given his lack of responsibility, he might not get a chance.

turbo-1 said:
I don't want to think too badly of the kid, or give up on him entirely. His brother has gone into basic training, his sister and mother both work in a law office and his father works some long hours as a crane operator, so he's got no ride. He's pretty much stuck at home every day, miles from town, with no driver's license. I figured he'd be glad to pick up some jobs, pay for his driver's school, and get his license so he could get around on his own.

Another neighbor is ready to put an addition on his house for his daughter and her two little girls. That could have given the kid a chance to earn even more money while we are framing and sheathing the addition, but given his lack of responsibility, he might not get a chance.

Just curious...is he home schooled?

lisab said:
Just curious...is he home schooled?
No, public school system.

edward said:
I once had a father who stopped by and asked me how I got his teen aged son to work so hard.

I told him that I noticed that his son, David, had a bit of a problem with ADD. A big job left him a bit overwhelmed. He needed supervision. I broke the work down into smaller segments instead of just turning him loose for long periods on his own. He thrived with a structured day.

This is more or less what I was thinking. He may just need someone there to keep him involved. Some people just aren't cut out for doing work on their own.

At my current job I have virtually no supervision what so ever and most of my coworkers wind up screwing off, leaving early, ect. I had another job at an art supply store that was similar. We had supervision but were more or less let loose and told to keep busy. We made well over minimum wage and got an hour lunch (the only place I have ever had an hour lunch). All we did was make sure our departments were clean and organized, help customers, and try to learn more about our products by reading pamphlets and such. As easy as the job was I watched at least three new hires come in for training and disappear after the first day or two.

<h2>1. What are some common attitudes about working among teenagers?</h2><p>Some common attitudes about working among teenagers include a strong desire for independence and financial stability, a lack of motivation or interest in traditional jobs, and a preference for flexible or non-traditional work arrangements.</p><h2>2. Are there any negative attitudes about working that are common among teenagers?</h2><p>Yes, some teenagers may have negative attitudes about working, such as feeling overwhelmed or stressed by the responsibilities of a job, or feeling like they are missing out on social activities or free time.</p><h2>3. How do attitudes about working in teens differ from those of adults?</h2><p>Attitudes about working in teens may differ from those of adults in that teenagers may prioritize different factors, such as flexibility or social opportunities, over traditional job benefits like salary or career advancement. Teens may also have less experience and a different perspective on the value of work.</p><h2>4. Are there any factors that influence a teenager's attitude about working?</h2><p>Yes, there are several factors that can influence a teenager's attitude about working, including their family background, cultural values, peer pressure, and personal interests and goals. Additionally, past experiences with work, such as a positive or negative first job, can also shape their attitude.</p><h2>5. How can parents or educators help teenagers develop a positive attitude about working?</h2><p>Parents and educators can help teenagers develop a positive attitude about working by encouraging them to explore their interests and find meaningful work, providing guidance and support in the job search process, and emphasizing the value and benefits of work, such as financial independence and personal growth.</p>

1. What are some common attitudes about working among teenagers?

Some common attitudes about working among teenagers include a strong desire for independence and financial stability, a lack of motivation or interest in traditional jobs, and a preference for flexible or non-traditional work arrangements.

2. Are there any negative attitudes about working that are common among teenagers?

Yes, some teenagers may have negative attitudes about working, such as feeling overwhelmed or stressed by the responsibilities of a job, or feeling like they are missing out on social activities or free time.

3. How do attitudes about working in teens differ from those of adults?

Attitudes about working in teens may differ from those of adults in that teenagers may prioritize different factors, such as flexibility or social opportunities, over traditional job benefits like salary or career advancement. Teens may also have less experience and a different perspective on the value of work.

4. Are there any factors that influence a teenager's attitude about working?

Yes, there are several factors that can influence a teenager's attitude about working, including their family background, cultural values, peer pressure, and personal interests and goals. Additionally, past experiences with work, such as a positive or negative first job, can also shape their attitude.

5. How can parents or educators help teenagers develop a positive attitude about working?

Parents and educators can help teenagers develop a positive attitude about working by encouraging them to explore their interests and find meaningful work, providing guidance and support in the job search process, and emphasizing the value and benefits of work, such as financial independence and personal growth.