Reasons my internet/cable line was cut?

• Thread starter Fervent Freyja
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cut Line
In summary, the article discusses ways burglars can gain access to your home security system, and warns about posting information on social media that would make it easier for burglars to find you.
Fervent Freyja
Gold Member
Don’t know exactly where to ask this, so I’ll try here first.

Okay, so a few weeks ago my internet went out. I ended up receiving a new modem in the mail the next day after I called. It didn’t work. I was finally able to be home for a technician to check it out this week.

He told me that someone intentionally cut my line. Not any other lines in my apartment complex, just mine. From 75 feet in the air. I pressed him for more answers but he couldn’t tell me anymore. He seemed to suggest that only technicians at the company could have cut it where he found it cut because I asked if a person from another company could have done it and he shook his head no.

What’s even more puzzling, and it’s probably just a coincidence, is that hours before my Ring camera went out I was alerted to motion in my apartment. I hear a noise at my entryway but don’t see the supposed motion that it detected. Nothing else. I know that my line must have been cut hours after that because my Ring camera stopped recording anything when it lost the Wi-Fi connection with my modem and when I arrived home in the parking lot I failed to connect with it again to be sure no one was in there before I walked in.

Why in the world would someone intentionally cut my line? Does anyone know of any other possible reasons for this? Is it plausible that another technician cut my line in order to set another customer up with service at my complex and maybe that is why he seemed a little hesitant to answer my questions about it? Is that how it works?

• Sad
Likes .Scott
Physics news on Phys.org
It will depend on what is meant by “cut”.
Was a connector separated, or was a knife used?
Is it fibre, coax or twisted pair?

Maybe the wrong plug was pulled, but why pull any plug? Maybe to free up a line for a new user, but that would require some line assignment change back at the source.

Did it get fixed fast, or did it take some time to reallocate a connection?

Likes russ_watters and Fervent Freyja
Baluncore said:
It will depend on what is meant by “cut”.
Was a connector separated, or was a knife used?
Is it fibre, coax or twisted pair?

Maybe the wrong plug was pulled, but why pull any plug? Maybe to free up a line for a new user, but that would require some line assignment change back at the source.

Did it get fixed fast, or did it take some time to reallocate a connection?
He said “cut” a couple of times. Have no idea what kind of wire it is.

Took at least an hour, maybe that tells you something?

Thanks!

I had a similar situation that might make you feel better. Verizon was wiring a new house down the block, and accidentally unplugged my internet (I think actually poorly soldered some connections is a better description). It took them about two hours of tech work to figure out where the problem was (which was particularly annoying because I already knew which pole they were working on, and presumably so did they?), and they had to come back with a cherry picker the next day to actually fix the problem.

Likes Fervent Freyja
Office_Shredder said:
I had a similar situation that might make you feel better. Verizon was wiring a new house down the block, and accidentally unplugged my internet (I think actually poorly soldered some connections is a better description). It took them about two hours of tech work to figure out where the problem was (which was particularly annoying because I already knew which pole they were working on, and presumably so did they?), and they had to come back with a cherry picker the next day to actually fix the problem.
That does! Thank you!

Using the phone book, a burglar will look up your information and call you to see if you are home

I feel like this article is a little out of date...

• Haha
Likes Fervent Freyja, collinsmark and Vanadium 50
What is this "phone book" of which you speak?

• Haha
Likes Fervent Freyja and robphy
Office_Shredder said:
Using the phone book, a burglar will look up your information and call you to see if you are home
I feel like this article is a little out of date...

Well...
Later in the article, it does say
If you have a Facebook or Twitter account, he will subscribe to your feed and monitor your posts. One of the worst mistakes you can make is to announce that you are leaving for an extended period of time, whether to see a movie or leave the country.

Be careful about what you post online.

Fervent Freyja said:
Don’t know exactly where to ask this, so I’ll try here first.

Okay, so a few weeks ago my internet went out. I ended up receiving a new modem in the mail the next day after I called. It didn’t work. I was finally able to be home for a technician to check it out this week.

He told me that someone intentionally cut my line. Not any other lines in my apartment complex, just mine. From 75 feet in the air. I pressed him for more answers but he couldn’t tell me anymore. He seemed to suggest that only technicians at the company could have cut it where he found it cut because I asked if a person from another company could have done it and he shook his head no.

What’s even more puzzling, and it’s probably just a coincidence, is that hours before my Ring camera went out I was alerted to motion in my apartment. I hear a noise at my entryway but don’t see the supposed motion that it detected. Nothing else. I know that my line must have been cut hours after that because my Ring camera stopped recording anything when it lost the Wi-Fi connection with my modem and when I arrived home in the parking lot I failed to connect with it again to be sure no one was in there before I walked in.

Why in the world would someone intentionally cut my line? Does anyone know of any other possible reasons for this? Is it plausible that another technician cut my line in order to set another customer up with service at my complex and maybe that is why he seemed a little hesitant to answer my questions about it? Is that how it works?
The crazy thing is this is what’s going on with me at this very moment. Friday spectrum came out and were pressing me hard about switching to them. We currently have AT&T. Internet was working as usual up until Saturday morning. Our power flicks off then back on. Everything come back up as normal but our internet! I call AT&T and we go over all the troubleshooting. It comes back that the wires to my home are some how not responding. I’m waiting to find out exactly what’s going on with the wires as I write this. My thoughts are spectrum did this!

ki21 said:
The crazy thing is this is what’s going on with me at this very moment. Friday spectrum came out and were pressing me hard about switching to them. We currently have AT&T. Internet was working as usual up until Saturday morning. Our power flicks off then back on. Everything come back up as normal but our internet! I call AT&T and we go over all the troubleshooting. It comes back that the wires to my home are some how not responding. I’m waiting to find out exactly what’s going on with the wires as I write this. My thoughts are spectrum did this!
Depends, maybe the cabinet that houses the wiring to your home lost power and didn't come back on? Not too sure, as there is no indication how widespread this power 'outage' was. More likely there was a brownout, which happened at our house years ago and damaged our Canon printer (it wouldn't turn back on for months).

1. Why was my internet/cable line cut?

There could be several reasons for your internet/cable line being cut. It could be due to construction work, severe weather conditions, or accidental damage caused by digging or cutting of underground cables. It could also be a result of unpaid bills or a planned maintenance outage by your service provider.

2. How long will it take for my internet/cable line to be restored?

The time it takes for your internet/cable line to be restored depends on the cause of the cut and the availability of resources for repair. In some cases, it can be fixed within a few hours, while in others it may take a day or more. Your service provider should be able to provide you with an estimated time of restoration.

3. Can I prevent my internet/cable line from being cut in the future?

While some instances of internet/cable line cuts are out of our control, there are steps you can take to prevent it from happening. Make sure to always call your service provider before digging or doing any construction work on your property. Also, keep an eye out for any warning signs or markers indicating underground cables and avoid them.

4. Will I be charged for the repair of my internet/cable line?

If the cut was a result of an accident or damage caused by a third party, you may not be charged for the repair. However, if the cut was due to unpaid bills or negligence on your part, you may be responsible for the repair costs. It is best to check with your service provider for their specific policies on this matter.

5. Can I get compensation for the inconvenience caused by the cut?

In some cases, you may be eligible for compensation for the inconvenience caused by the cut, such as loss of internet or cable services. However, this will depend on the policies of your service provider and the cause of the cut. It is best to contact them directly to inquire about any compensation or reimbursement options.