Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Attn: Admin, Word censoring? Forum bug?

1. Apr 16, 2007 #1
    Attn: Admin, Word censoring? Forum bug??

I just had a boatload of trouble trying to post a reply in this forum because apparently the word "wget" is not allowed! (with spaces on both sides of it. It posts just fine if you have anything on either side of it other than spaces) I mentioned this in my reply, but I figured this merited a new post.

For instance, you can't post a message or reply if you say something like "I use wget sometimes" without the italics. Go ahead and try it.

Is this a bug? is "wget" considered a cussword in these forums? lol I'm very confused and a bit ruffled here.. I worked on my reply only to have to spend 30 minutes trying to figure out why it wouldn't post..

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2007 #2
    wget10
    wget10
    wget10

:wink:

4. Apr 16, 2007 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey, quit saying that word you potty mouths! :biggrin:

I don't know why it is causing you trouble, but it's possible it's something the forum software sees and tries to use instead of just treating it as text. A way to avoid having that happen is to enclose what you're writing in code tags.

5. Apr 16, 2007 #4
    haha goodjob neutrino way to hide stuff.

6. Apr 16, 2007 #5

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

wget
    wget
    wget

hmmm

7. Apr 16, 2007 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Put a space before and after one of them.

8. Apr 16, 2007 #7
  9. Apr 16, 2007 #8
    It's a great command line downloader with a ton of options and can serve certain uses. In linux it's basically the standard command line downloader but there are ports for all sorts of other operating systems.

I'm going to test it out..

Nope, I wasn't able to post my reply. Does everyone have this problem? or is it just me?

wget
    wget
    wget

Oh, I guess posting "wget" on it's own line by itself with no spaces works also.. Try including in a sentence though, Neutrino, lol.

10. Apr 16, 2007 #9

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Maybe it's an obscene word in Welsh or some other obscure language. :rofl:

11. Apr 16, 2007 #10
    It seems to be unique to PF. Two other forums I visit, which use vBulletin, don't throw any error messages.

12. Apr 16, 2007 #11

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In addition to "wget", I get a similar problem with "lynx". Both are text-based web browsers.

"I use wget_ sometimes"
    "I use lynx_ sometimes"
    "I use links sometimes"
    "I use w3m sometimes"
    "I use curl sometimes"

(Removing either underscore seems to be troublesome.)

13. Apr 16, 2007 #12
    It's probably a mod_security rule trying to keep you from running evil commands on the PF servers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?