Attn: Admin, Word censoring? Forum bug?

• Thread starter BoredNL
  • Start date
In summary, the forum software may not be able to recognize the word "wget" as a command, and it causes trouble when you try to reply in the forum.
BoredNL
Attn: Admin, Word censoring? Forum bug??

I just had a boatload of trouble trying to post a reply in this forum because apparently the word "wget" is not allowed! (with spaces on both sides of it. It posts just fine if you have anything on either side of it other than spaces) I mentioned this in my reply, but I figured this merited a new post.

For instance, you can't post a message or reply if you say something like "I use wget sometimes" without the italics. Go ahead and try it.

Is this a bug? is "wget" considered a cussword in these forums? lol I'm very confused and a bit ruffled here.. I worked on my reply only to have to spend 30 minutes trying to figure out why it wouldn't post..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
wget10
wget10
wget10

:wink:

Hey, quit saying that word you potty mouths! :biggrin:

I don't know why it is causing you trouble, but it's possible it's something the forum software sees and tries to use instead of just treating it as text. A way to avoid having that happen is to enclose what you're writing in code tags.

haha goodjob neutrino way to hide stuff.

neutrino said:
wget10
wget10
wget10

:wink:

wget
wget
wget

hmmm

Put a space before and after one of them.

It's a great command line downloader with a ton of options and can serve certain uses. In linux it's basically the standard command line downloader but there are ports for all sorts of other operating systems.

I'm going to test it out..

Nope, I wasn't able to post my reply. Does everyone have this problem? or is it just me?

wget
wget
wget

Oh, I guess posting "wget" on it's own line by itself with no spaces works also.. Try including in a sentence though, Neutrino, lol.

Maybe it's an obscene word in Welsh or some other obscure language. :smile:

Moonbear said:
I don't know why it is causing you trouble, but it's possible it's something the forum software sees and tries to use instead of just treating it as text.

It seems to be unique to PF. Two other forums I visit, which use vBulletin, don't throw any error messages.

In addition to "wget", I get a similar problem with "lynx". Both are text-based web browsers.

"I use wget_ sometimes"
"I use lynx_ sometimes"
"I use links sometimes"
"I use w3m sometimes"
"I use curl sometimes"

(Removing either underscore seems to be troublesome.)

It's probably a mod_security rule trying to keep you from running evil commands on the PF servers.

Related to Attn: Admin, Word censoring? Forum bug?

1. What is "Attn: Admin, Word censoring?"

"Attn: Admin, Word censoring" refers to the system in place on a forum or online platform that automatically filters out or replaces certain words or phrases that may be deemed offensive or inappropriate.

2. Why is word censoring necessary on forums?

Word censoring helps to maintain a respectful and safe environment for all users on the forum. It prevents the use of offensive language and promotes civil discourse.

3. How does word censoring work?

Word censoring typically uses algorithms and filters to scan for specific words or phrases and replace them with either asterisks or alternative words. Some platforms also allow users to customize their own censor list.

4. What are the potential drawbacks of word censoring?

One drawback of word censoring is that it may unintentionally censor innocent words or phrases. It can also hinder free speech and limit the expression of ideas. Additionally, some users may find workarounds or alternative ways to express offensive language.

5. How can I report a bug related to word censoring on a forum?

If you encounter a bug related to word censoring on a forum, you can report it to the forum's admin or support team. They will investigate the issue and work to resolve it as soon as possible.