Attn: Engineers; Need Help About School

• Thread starter lilleybc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    School
In summary, the conversation discusses a junior student's interest in majoring in engineering, but their current school does not offer an engineering degree. The student presents three options: transferring to a school with an engineering program, studying for a BS in Physics and completing an internship, or studying for a BS in Applied Physics. The conversation also raises questions about the length of a graduate program for a student with a BS in Applied Physics compared to a BS in Mechanical Engineering. The experts advise that transferring to a school with an engineering program would be the best option, as an undergraduate degree in physics may not be helpful for graduate school in engineering and can make it difficult to obtain professional certification.
lilleybc
Greetings,

I am a junior student at a liberal arts college (Pacific Lutheran University) and I am interested in majoring in engineering, but the school does not offer an engineering degree. I have several options as an undergraduate and I wanted to get some advice.

Option I

I could transfer to a school with an undergrad engineering program and spend two years studying for a BS in Mechanical Engineering (probably finish in May 2011). (After that possibly a MS.)

Option II

I could study for a BS in Physics (finish Dec 2009) and complete a semester-long internship at an engineering firm (Spring 2010) and then apply to a grad program for engineering (or forget the internship and apply for a grad program and take undergrad engineering courses in the spring).

Option III

I could study for a BS in Applied Physics (finish in May 2010) and then apply to a grad program.

Also, about how long would a grad program take me to complete from a BS (Applied) Physics (I assume I will need basic undergrad engineering courses?) compared to a student with a BS in Mechanical Engineering?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Specifically I am looking for an working engineer's perspective on what is important.

Thanks,
Ben

Physics news on Phys.org
If mechanical engineering is your intented career path and you plan to pursue graduate school in this area you may consider transfering to the Unviersity of Washington. It is a great school and will be a hell of a lot cheaper than PLU. Downtown seattle is across the bridge from campus too.

This seems like it may be the most direct route and the cheapest too. UW also will have a ton of opportunities for research experience which will strengthen grad school aplications.

I'd say your best bet would be to follow similar advice to the post above. If I'm mistaken, someone please correct me, but I'm fairly certain that an undergraduate degree in physics/applied physics really wouldn't help you gain admittance to any sort of grad school for any type of engineering. Perhaps I'm wrong. Regardless, your best bet would most definately be to take the extra time and get the BS in Mechanical Engineering. What's the point of getting a degree you won't use?

undrcvrbro said:
I'd say your best bet would be to follow similar advice to the post above. If I'm mistaken, someone please correct me, but I'm fairly certain that an undergraduate degree in physics/applied physics really wouldn't help you gain admittance to any sort of grad school for any type of engineering. Perhaps I'm wrong. Regardless, your best bet would most definately be to take the extra time and get the BS in Mechanical Engineering. What's the point of getting a degree you won't use?

Well this hasn't been the advise I'm been getting from my school. The people at my school say that some physics majors who want to go to grad school in engineering will cross over but I think these people have focused their electives into the type of engineering their interested in. I would still suggest that the OP should go with the option to switch majors with mechanical engineering but should do some research on where some physics programs would bring their graduates if he/she has the time and passion for physics.

One concern I'll add is that it can be difficult (even if you later pursued an MS in engineering), to get "Professional Engineer" (P.E.) certification. You might want to look at this link: http://www.graduatingengineer.com/articles/19991102/The-ABC%27s-of-PE-Certification". Note especially: "First, an aspiring PE must graduate from a four-year engineering program accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET)."

Some jobs will require that you have professional certification. Therefore I concur with other posters. Go to another school... and remember that advisers at your present institution won't be inclined to give you that advice. To colleges, "students" are (to a large extent, sadly) viewed as "revenue units" (a term I steal from James Howard Kunstler's discussion of Las Vegas in The City in Mind.).

Edited to add (regarding jtbell's following statement): Here I refer especially to advising done through an advising center (which is the required form of advising for students early in their college careers at our institution).

Last edited by a moderator:
undrcvrbro said:
I'm fairly certain that an undergraduate degree in physics/applied physics really wouldn't help you gain admittance to any sort of grad school for any type of engineering. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Many of our physics majors go on to graduate school in engineering (various fields) and most of them do OK. I should qualify this by saying that this means regional schools like Clemson and North Carolina State, not schools like RPI or Georgia Tech.

I'll also add that I've never (in 20+ years) tried to persuade a student to stay here instead of transferring elsewhere. In fact, I've never even had a student ask me about this. They seem to be quite capable of making up their minds themselves.

Last edited:

1. What kind of help can engineers provide for school?

Engineers can provide a variety of help for school, such as tutoring in math and science courses, providing guidance on technical projects or assignments, and offering advice on potential career paths in engineering.

2. Can engineers help with non-technical subjects like writing or history?

While engineers may not have specific expertise in non-technical subjects, they can still offer valuable insight and advice on study strategies, time management, and critical thinking skills that can be applied to any subject.

3. How can engineers assist with understanding complex concepts in math and science?

Engineers are trained to think critically and analytically, which can be helpful when trying to understand complex concepts in math and science. They can also break down the concepts into more manageable chunks and provide practical examples to make them easier to understand.

4. Are engineers available for one-on-one help or group study sessions?

Many engineers are open to providing one-on-one help or participating in group study sessions, depending on their availability and schedule. It's best to reach out and ask for their assistance in advance.

5. How can I find an engineer to help me with my specific needs?

You can start by reaching out to your school's engineering department or clubs to see if there are any engineering students or professors who can offer assistance. You can also search online for tutoring services or reach out to engineering professionals in your community through networking events or social media.