Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AudioQuest Diamond: most expensive HDMI cables worth it?

1. Mar 10, 2015 #1
    I was browsing amazon for some basic HDMI cables and was flabbergasted when I came across some by AudioQuest Diamond. They cost $1,494.75 for 6.5FT.

https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Diamond-6-56-Braided-Cable/dp/B003CT2A2M/

The information gives
    • Solid Perfect-Surface Silver (PSS) Conductors
    • Low Jitter, Low Distortion Audio
    • Signal Conductors Controlled for Digital Audio Direction
    • Bi-Directional Ethernet Communication and Audio Return Channel Enabled
    • Dielectric-Bias System (DBS US Pat # 7,126,055) Significantly Improves Audio Performance
    Is this a total scam or is there some value for the biggest audiophiles out there?

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2015 #2

Svein

Science Advisor

It is a scam. The cable may well be a high quality cable, but since we are talking digital signals, the "Low jitter, low distortion" is meaningless. After all, we are running full duplex gigabit communication over Cat 6 cables, and they are not especially expensive.

4. Mar 10, 2015 #3

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Perhaps it's not a deliberate scam. Aren't some prices on Amazon set by computer algorithms?

5. Mar 10, 2015 #4

analogdesign

Science Advisor

You can make an argument that shielding digital communications cables in an audio environment is valuable, as it reduces interference in your speakers and the analog portion of your signal chain. This cable doesn't make that argument. It's a scam.

6. Mar 10, 2015 #5
    This is monster cables X 10... complete BS.....

7. Mar 10, 2015 #6
    Does monster cable also engage in shady claims? I used to have an 30ft s-video monster cable and got it fairly cheap on ebay. Worked just fine :)

8. Mar 10, 2015 #7
    IM (NSH) O Absolutely! - it is not that they are bad - they just are too expensive for the claims they make. - I like http://www.mycablemart.com - In the digital realm - HDMI = HDMI - if the cable is bad you will notice it.. dropped frames, freezes - etc. The long term mechanical reliability of the connector is much more important then anything I have seen monster advertize. As for interferance with speakers - I would challenge anyone to notice a <5V digital signal wrapped around their speaker to notice the difference.

NSH = not so humble - sorry I have a strong opinion on this - it gives people in technical marketing and sales a really bad name...used car anyone?

9. Mar 10, 2015 #8

analogdesign

Science Advisor

10. Mar 10, 2015 #9

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Yes, but if you got them especially cheap, you beat the scam, since the entirety of the scam is aimed at convincing you to spend more than they are worth.

11. Mar 10, 2015 #10

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'll agree with that. The socket, plug, and the boot between the plug and cable are very common failure points. But only in cables that are manipulated often (charging cables, for example). So while it is true, it isn't even all that critical for an HDMI cable, which spends years in the same position.

12. Mar 10, 2015 #11

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook