Average Age on PF: What's the Answer?

• Thread starter Char. Limit
  • Start date
In summary, the average age on PF is 20, but there are a lot of people older than that and a lot of people younger than that.

How old are you?

• Total voters
Char. Limit said:
I noticed that none of the mentors who have voted are in the 18-25 range.
It makes perfect sense! :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
I nominate jarednjames to be the representative mentor for our age group.

rootX said:
It makes perfect sense! :biggrin:
None are codgers like me, either. Does that make sense? Just asking.

Char. Limit said:

I thought he was already!

Char. Limit said:

Accord.

nismaratwork said:
Evo can read gray... you're doomed now lad... dooooooomed! :biggrin:
So are you:
nismaratwork said:
Are we talking topsoil or lithosphere? :biggrin:

*runs*

I would like to point out that whatever age group I vote on is the coolest and most awesomeest.

FtlIsAwesome said:
So are you:

Thanks man... I needed that. :rolleyes:

If one go down, we all go down eh? :rofl:

nismaratwork said:
If one go down, we all go down eh? :rofl:
Abandon ship!
Be advised that this is not a naval vessel. Swimming skill is irrelevant.
We're jumping into a vacuum.

So, what are we defining as our population here?

jhae2.718 said:
So, what are we defining as our population here?
State of PF
Population: 262,034

Wait, maybe that's not what he means... :tongue2:

To clarify, are we counting every registered user on PF as our population? Or just the "active" ones, where some arbitrary definition is used to differentiate between active and inactive.

Either way, the current level of 71 responses is probably not statistically useful. (Unless the number of "core" PF users is much less than I'm estimating.)

jhae2.718 said:
To clarify, are we counting every registered user on PF as our population? Or just the "active" ones, where some arbitrary definition is used to differentiate between active and inactive.

Either way, the current level of 71 responses is probably not statistically useful. (Unless the number of "core" PF users is much less than I'm estimating.)

Actually we're just counting the ones who vote in this poll :tongue:.

In that case, I vote we use our sample of 71 people to extrapolate over the entirety of the members of PF.

Gokul43201 said:
That was most of my partial theory. On average, people start marrying off in the late 20s. My guess is that among scientists, this age may even be a little higher still. Also, if you're in Academia in the 35-44 age range, there's a reasonable chance you've not yet made tenure, so you've not got time to waste on frivolities like PF, and if you do, you probably stay out of GD.

That sounds reasonable. I wonder how it would look if the bin sizes were different.

Gokul43201 said:
That was most of my partial theory. On average, people start marrying off in the late 20s. My guess is that among scientists, this age may even be a little higher still. Also, if you're in Academia in the 35-44 age range, there's a reasonable chance you've not yet made tenure, so you've not got time to waste on frivolities like PF, and if you do, you probably stay out of GD.

However, children and spouses can be more demanding than the work. I find it easy to PF while working but can't imagine when working and having other nuisances :biggrin: It's not work but after work that keeps 35-44 people out of here IMO.

18! Woot! LOL

Char. Limit said:

Someone just came to my mind who hasn't been here for some time now, I would likely nominate him if ever been given the opportunity :biggrin: :devil:

rootX said:
Someone just came to my mind who hasn't been here for some time now, I would likely nominate him if ever been given the opportunity :biggrin: :devil:

FlexGunship? A. Neumaier?

rootX said:

That character came to my mind as I read this, definitely yes. :devil: :biggrin:

drizzle said:
That character came to my mind as I read this, definitely yes. :devil: :biggrin:

Danger?

No, Danger is a kind person!...Hehe *vanishes away*

drizzle said:
No, Danger is a kind person!...Hehe *vanishes away*

Yeah, Danger is a good guy.

Oh man, I have a huge curiosity fixation... I know it's killed cats, but I have reliable information satisfaction brings them back after.

Who is this absent mystery 18-2*inger?

Ehh 18.5, so I feel like I should be in the youngest bracket. Voted correctly though

So what's a good pdf for the bimodal distribution we have here anyway?

nismaratwork said:
Yeah, Danger is a good guy.

Oh man, I have a huge curiosity fixation... I know it's killed cats, but I have reliable information satisfaction brings them back after.

Who is this absent mystery 18-2*inger?

(I just arrived home)

Cyru aka relationship guru, he disappeared before you came here :smile:

He was behind new relationships forum. [https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1924466"].

If I recall correctly, he was also pushing for higher standards in other forums.

Last edited by a moderator:
rootX said:
(I just arrived home)

He was behind new relationships forum. [https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1924466"].

If I recall correctly, he was also pushing for higher standards in other forums.

Cyrus... ah yes... I am actually familiar with him.

Me to judge: I'm absolved from all guilt. She started it!

rootX said:
(I just arrived home)

Hahhaha! Love that cat fight.

Do you think he quit posting because of that?

nismaratwork said:
Oh man, I have a huge curiosity fixation... I know it's killed cats,
Don't worry, you're not a cat. I'm not a cat either so I also don't have to worry. :tongue2:

drizzle said:
Hahhaha! Love that cat fight.

Do you think he quit posting because of that?
Cyrus was in chat last week.

Evo said:
Cyrus was in chat last week.

Was he now... that's good to know.

Unfortunately, unlike Nismar and FTL, I am a cat. So I'd better keep my curiosity held in check.

Char. Limit said:
Unfortunately, unlike Nismar and FTL, I am a cat. So I'd better keep my curiosity held in check.
Maybe we can invent a machine to turn you into something else, then you'd have no problem.

Wait a minute, you're a cat who can talk (type)!?

FtlIsAwesome said:
Maybe we can invent a machine to turn you into something else, then you'd have no problem.

Wait a minute, you're a cat who can talk (type)!?

Typing is easy. Learning english was the hard part.