Average Age on PF: What's the Answer?

• Thread starter Char. Limit
  • Start date
In summary, the average age on PF is 20, but there are a lot of people older than that and a lot of people younger than that.

How old are you?

• Total voters
That's still amazing.

Are there any other cats like you?

Physics news on Phys.org
FtlIsAwesome said:
That's still amazing.

Are there any other cats like you?

Oh, of course. We're all like this. We just let you think that you're in power. It's amusing, really.

Char. Limit said:
Oh, of course. We're all like this. We just let you think that you're in power. It's amusing, really.
Ah, something like the movie Cats & Dogs.

What about the other animals?

FtlIsAwesome said:
Ah, something like the movie Cats & Dogs.

What about the other animals?

Never trust the squirrels... especially red ones. :smile:

@Char: Well remember, "Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought him back."

36yo.

What if the cat is curious but isn't satisfied?

FtlIsAwesome said:
What if the cat is curious but isn't satisfied?

Meooo- *crack*

Dead Cat.

"Old enough to know better but young enough to not care I get active - might slap a <rhymes with 'switch'> with my hair! Left coast up top I bang that [skit] My sparkling wine'll pop Cristal on her lip. Cain't stop, won't stop gettin my bread. Pack arenas and coliseums now watch me shred"

I made a crude graph of the bimodal distribution we have here. I checked, and the integral over R of this function IS 1, so it's a proper pdf. And I think it's pretty interesting.

wolframalpha-20110326190842211.gif

45-54 seems to have the most mentors (4).

FtlIsAwesome said:
45-54 seems to have the most mentors (4).

Young enough to be on the cusp of wisdom, but young enough to avoid decrepitude. *runs*

nismaratwork said:
@Char: Well remember, "Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought him back."

I thought Schrodinger killed* the cat?

*(I also thought Schrodinger didn't kill the cat...)

jhae2.718 said:
I thought Schrodinger killed* the cat?

*(I also thought Schrodinger didn't kill the cat...)

Schrodinger? My avatar didn't kill anyone...

Freedom 55

Well ... that's what I was told when I was a young one. My body is older than I am. :)

Char. Limit said:
Schrodinger? My avatar didn't kill anyone...

BAM! Nice move Char. :biggrin:

@jhae2.718: We're still waiting for a report from Wigner's friend, but there are serious questions about his welfare so... ?

Stephen Hawking said:
...Yeah, well, there are some people who spend an awful lot of time talking about the interpretation of quantum mechanics. My attitude — I would paraphrase Gœring—is that when I hear of Schrödinger's cat, I reach for my gun.

It's hard to pass up Schrodinger references, though...

nismaratwork said:
BAM! Nice move Char. :biggrin:

@jhae2.718: We're still waiting for a report from Wigner's friend, but there are serious questions about his welfare so... ?

And now you know the other reason he's my avatar. So I can make lame jokes like that one.

jhae2.718 said:
It's hard to pass up Schrodinger references, though...

I'd add, Dr. Hawking is mistaken in his reference...

I forget said:
The famous line "when I hear the word culture, I reach for my gun", often associated with Nazi leaders, derives from this play. The actual original line from the play is slightly different: "Wenn ich Kultur höre ... entsichere ich meinen Browning!" "Whenever I hear of culture... I release the safety catch of my Browning!" (Act 1, Scene 1).

I should add, the play was for Hitler's... something, maybe a birthday, so it's Nazi-related.

So, I'm wondering when somebody will unleash some statistical fury on this sample? Mean, median, modus, standard deviation, kurtosis, variance, third moments,...

Come on, I know there are some of you who, deep down inside, want nothing more than to calculate...

I have resisted the urge to input this all into MATLAB...

micromass said:
So, I'm wondering when somebody will unleash some statistical fury on this sample? Mean, median, modus, standard deviation, kurtosis, variance, third moments,...

Come on, I know there are some of you who, deep down inside, want nothing more than to calculate...

Char. Limit said:
I made a crude graph of the bimodal distribution we have here. I checked, and the integral over R of this function IS 1, so it's a proper pdf. And I think it's pretty interesting.

wolframalpha-20110326190842211.gif

You must have missed something.

Me to, but I can't resist anymore...

Must... analyse... information...

Char. Limit said:
You must have missed something.

Yes, nice graph. But only statistical invariants will satisfy me :biggrin:

micromass said:

But I can't plot the mean of a bimodal distribution! I barely managed to find one.

micromass said:

We're awaiting your paper on the distribution.

Char. Limit said:
But I can't plot the mean of a bimodal distribution! I barely managed to find one.

Waaah. Where is statdad when you need him :cry:
Kinda curious on how you found that pdf by the way...

Char. Limit said:

That's why MM is a science advisor and homework helper! *jazz hands*

micromass said:
Waaah. Where is statdad when you need him :cry:
Kinda curious on how you found that pdf by the way...

I took the gaussian of the first four categories, then the gaussian of the last five categories, divided both by 2 and then added them together! Sure, it's hardly rigorous, but I haven't taken even the most basic of statistics courses.

I also want representation for my age group.

FtlIsAwesome said:
I also want representation for my age group.

No. We're not even going to consider it until you pay us your chat fees.

Its always about money, huh...

FtlIsAwesome said:
Its always about money, huh...

I suppose you could try sexual favors for the mentors, but I'd guess that wouldn't go over well. :biggrin:

Nevermind...

Char. Limit said:
I took the gaussian of the first four categories, then the gaussian of the last five categories, divided both by 2 and then added them together! Sure, it's hardly rigorous, but I haven't taken even the most basic of statistics courses.

Results would probably be better if we had a finer discretization of the age ranges.

jhae2.718 said:
Results would probably be better if we had a finer discretization of the age ranges.

I suppose I could create a separate poll for each category, where you list your exact age. If the mentors don't ban me for flooding the GD forum.

It's probably not necessary, though; it's not like we're trying to get our results into a journal or anything...