Average current produced by pacemaker

In summary, the pacemaker has a lithium-iodine battery with a capacity of 0.42 A*h and an average current of 5.6 uA. Using the equation time = charge/current, the expected lifetime of the device is approximately 75,000 years.
matt72lsu

Homework Statement

Pacemakers designed for long-term use commonly employ a lithium-iodine battery capable of supplying 0.42 A*h of charge.
b) If the average current produced by the pacemaker is 5.6 uA what is the expected lifetime of the device?

Homework Equations

C = A/s

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for s. s = C/A = 5.6e6A (not sure if i converted that right) / .42 = 1.33e7 s. The thing is, I'm not sure how to convert this to years. thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org

Life time = 0.42A*h/5.6*10^-6A =...h.

you can't convert seconds to years? You can do one of two things. Divide by seconds in a minute, divide by minutes in an hour, divide by hours in a day, then divide by days in a year. or you could search on google, "convert seconds to years" and then find the answer that way.

yeah i can but i wasn't really sure if i did the first part right and used the correct equation in the first place

ahh okay. i have no idea either

matt72lsu said:
yeah i can but i wasn't really sure if i did the first part right and used the correct equation in the first place
Capacity of battery is given in Ampere-hour.
Therefore the life of the battery is given by (Ampere-hour)/ current drawn from the battery.

im getting like 75000 yrs. that can't be right huh?

You know, if you keep the charge in amp-hours, it'll make things easier, because the time you calculate will automatically be in hours. All you have to do is convert the current from microamps to amps. This is easy, because a microamp is a millionth of an amp.

current = charge/time

==> time = charge/current

1. What is a pacemaker and how does it produce current?

A pacemaker is a small, battery-operated device that is implanted in the chest to help regulate the heart's rhythm. It produces electrical impulses that stimulate the heart muscles to contract and create a heartbeat. These electrical impulses are delivered through thin wires called leads, which are connected to the pacemaker and placed in the heart.

2. How is the average current produced by a pacemaker measured?

The average current produced by a pacemaker is measured in milliamps (mA). This measurement is taken by a process called telemetry, which uses radiofrequency signals to communicate with the pacemaker and retrieve data on its electrical activity. The average current produced by a pacemaker can vary depending on the individual's heart condition and the settings of the pacemaker.

3. What factors can affect the average current produced by a pacemaker?

There are several factors that can affect the average current produced by a pacemaker, including the individual's heart condition, the type of pacemaker, and the settings programmed by the doctor. Other factors such as physical activity, body position, and exposure to electromagnetic fields can also impact the average current produced by a pacemaker.

4. What is a normal range for the average current produced by a pacemaker?

The normal range for the average current produced by a pacemaker can vary depending on the individual's heart condition and the settings of the pacemaker. However, on average, the current produced by a pacemaker ranges from 0.5 to 3.5 mA. It is important to note that the doctor will monitor and adjust the settings of the pacemaker to ensure it is producing the appropriate amount of current for the individual's needs.

5. Are there any potential risks or side effects associated with the average current produced by a pacemaker?

In general, the average current produced by a pacemaker is well-tolerated and does not cause any significant side effects. However, there is a small risk of complications such as infection, bleeding, or bruising at the site of implantation. In rare cases, the electrical impulses from the pacemaker may interfere with other electronic devices, but this can be easily managed by following certain precautions and avoiding close contact with such devices.