1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Average current produced by pacemaker

1. Feb 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Pacemakers designed for long-term use commonly employ a lithium-iodine battery capable of supplying 0.42 A*h of charge.
    b) If the average current produced by the pacemaker is 5.6 uA what is the expected lifetime of the device?

2. Relevant equations

C = A/s

3. The attempt at a solution
    I solved for s. s = C/A = 5.6e6A (not sure if i converted that right) / .42 = 1.33e7 s. The thing is, I'm not sure how to convert this to years. thanks for the help

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2010 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Re: Charges/Currents

Life time = 0.42A*h/5.6*10^-6A =...........h.

4. Feb 9, 2010 #3

you cant convert seconds to years? You can do one of two things. Divide by seconds in a minute, divide by minutes in an hour, divide by hours in a day, then divide by days in a year. or you could search on google, "convert seconds to years" and then find the answer that way.

5. Feb 9, 2010 #4

yeah i can but i wasn't really sure if i did the first part right and used the correct equation in the first place

6. Feb 9, 2010 #5

ahh okay. i have no idea either

7. Feb 9, 2010 #6

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Capacity of battery is given in Ampere-hour.
    Therefore the life of the battery is given by (Ampere-hour)/ current drawn from the battery.

8. Feb 9, 2010 #7

im getting like 75000 yrs. that cant be right huh?

9. Feb 9, 2010 #8

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You know, if you keep the charge in amp-hours, it'll make things easier, because the time you calculate will automatically be in hours. All you have to do is convert the current from microamps to amps. This is easy, because a microamp is a millionth of an amp.

current = charge/time

==> time = charge/current

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook