Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Average current produced by pacemaker

1. Feb 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Pacemakers designed for long-term use commonly employ a lithium-iodine battery capable of supplying 0.42 A*h of charge.
    b) If the average current produced by the pacemaker is 5.6 uA what is the expected lifetime of the device?

2. Relevant equations

C = A/s

3. The attempt at a solution
    I solved for s. s = C/A = 5.6e6A (not sure if i converted that right) / .42 = 1.33e7 s. The thing is, I'm not sure how to convert this to years. thanks for the help

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2010 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Re: Charges/Currents

Life time = 0.42A*h/5.6*10^-6A =...........h.

4. Feb 9, 2010 #3

you cant convert seconds to years? You can do one of two things. Divide by seconds in a minute, divide by minutes in an hour, divide by hours in a day, then divide by days in a year. or you could search on google, "convert seconds to years" and then find the answer that way.

5. Feb 9, 2010 #4

yeah i can but i wasn't really sure if i did the first part right and used the correct equation in the first place

6. Feb 9, 2010 #5

ahh okay. i have no idea either

7. Feb 9, 2010 #6

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Capacity of battery is given in Ampere-hour.
    Therefore the life of the battery is given by (Ampere-hour)/ current drawn from the battery.

8. Feb 9, 2010 #7

im getting like 75000 yrs. that cant be right huh?

9. Feb 9, 2010 #8

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You know, if you keep the charge in amp-hours, it'll make things easier, because the time you calculate will automatically be in hours. All you have to do is convert the current from microamps to amps. This is easy, because a microamp is a millionth of an amp.

current = charge/time

==> time = charge/current

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook