Average current produced by pacemaker

• Thread starter matt72lsu
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Pacemakers designed for long-term use commonly employ a lithium-iodine battery capable of supplying 0.42 A*h of charge.
b) If the average current produced by the pacemaker is 5.6 uA what is the expected lifetime of the device?

Homework Equations

C = A/s

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for s. s = C/A = 5.6e6A (not sure if i converted that right) / .42 = 1.33e7 s. The thing is, I'm not sure how to convert this to years. thanks for the help

Answers and Replies

rl.bhat
Homework Helper

Life time = 0.42A*h/5.6*10^-6A =...........h.

you cant convert seconds to years? You can do one of two things. Divide by seconds in a minute, divide by minutes in an hour, divide by hours in a day, then divide by days in a year. or you could search on google, "convert seconds to years" and then find the answer that way.

yeah i can but i wasn't really sure if i did the first part right and used the correct equation in the first place

ahh okay. i have no idea either

rl.bhat
Homework Helper

yeah i can but i wasn't really sure if i did the first part right and used the correct equation in the first place
Capacity of battery is given in Ampere-hour.
Therefore the life of the battery is given by (Ampere-hour)/ current drawn from the battery.

im getting like 75000 yrs. that cant be right huh?

cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

You know, if you keep the charge in amp-hours, it'll make things easier, because the time you calculate will automatically be in hours. All you have to do is convert the current from microamps to amps. This is easy, because a microamp is a millionth of an amp.

current = charge/time

==> time = charge/current