Average force applied by baseball on glove

In summary, the question is asking for the average force applied by a 0.140-kg baseball traveling 45.0 m/s as it strikes a catcher's mitt and brings the ball to rest, causing the mitt to recoil backward 11.0 cm. Using the equation vf^2=vi^2-2ad, the acceleration of the ball is calculated to be 9205 m/s/s. Plugging this into F=ma, the average force applied by the ball is found to be 1,289N. This may seem high, but considering the initial velocity and small distance traveled, it makes sense that a great force would be required to stop the ball.
balletgirl

Homework Statement

A 0.140-kg baseball traveling 45.0 m/s strikes the catcher's mitt, which, in bringing the ball to rest, recoils backward 11.0 cm. What was the average force applied by the ball on the glove?

Homework Equations

F=ma ?

The Attempt at a Solution

It is the whole "backward 11.0 cm" part that confuses me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Clearly, the question is how can you find acceleration?

Hint: if the ball is initially traveling at 45 m/s, and the ball comes to rest after 11 cm, what equation can you use to find acceleration?

Okay, so I used the equation vf^2=vi^2-2ad.
0= 45^2 - 2*a*.11m
I ended up with 9205 m/s/s as the acceleration.

After plugging it into F=ma, I got 1,289N as the force. It seems too high.
Thanks by the way.

I got 1,289N as the force. It seems too high.

Excellent. That's what I got too. And, think about it. A baseball traveling 45 m/s comes to rest in only 11 cm! It takes a tremendous amount of force to stop it!

1. What is the average force applied by a baseball on a glove?

The average force applied by a baseball on a glove depends on several factors such as the speed and weight of the ball, the material and design of the glove, and the strength of the player's throw. However, on average, a baseball can exert a force of 20-30 pounds on a glove.

2. How does the average force applied by a baseball on a glove affect the player's hand?

The force applied by a baseball on a glove can transfer to the player's hand, which can cause discomfort or even injury if the force is too great. This is why it is important for players to use properly fitting and sturdy gloves to minimize the impact on their hands.

3. Does the average force applied by a baseball on a glove change depending on the type of pitch?

Yes, the average force can vary depending on the type of pitch. For example, a fastball can exert a greater force on a glove compared to a curveball due to its higher velocity. Additionally, the angle and trajectory of the ball can also affect the force exerted on the glove.

4. How can the average force applied by a baseball on a glove be measured?

The average force can be measured using specialized equipment such as force sensors or motion capture technology. These tools can accurately measure the force exerted on the glove during a pitch and provide valuable data for analysis and improvement.

5. Can the average force applied by a baseball on a glove be increased?

The average force applied by a baseball on a glove can be increased through various factors such as improving the player's throwing technique, using a stronger and more flexible glove, and increasing the speed and accuracy of the pitch. However, it is important to note that the force should not exceed the player's physical capabilities to avoid injury.