Calculating average forces on an Object

In summary, a 0.140kg baseball traveling at 35.0 m/s strikes a catcher's mitt, causing it to recoil 11.0cm. To find the average force applied by the ball, we can use the equation F=ma and the fact that FAB=-FBA. Using the SUVAT equations, we can find the acceleration of the ball and then calculate the average force applied.
JustynSC

Homework Statement

A 0.140kg baseball traveling 35.0 m/s strikes the catcher's mitt, which in bringing the ball to rest, recoils backward 11.0cm. What is the average force applied by the ball on the glove

Homework Equations

F=ma; FAB=-FBA

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure where to start for this one

Mod Edit: missing velocity value added to problem statement after it was supplied by the OP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For starters you need to supply the initial velocity. It looks like it got lost between your fingers and the keyboard.

By the forum rules you need to make some attempt. What kinematic facts about the ball's motion can you derive from the given information?

Oops. Yes the initial velocity is equal to 35.0m/s
My frist attempt would have been a free body diagram depicting a ball traveling at the suggested speed coming in contact with the glove (or any object that acts against the ball's velocity. This in turn means there must be an opposing force (acceleration in the opposite direction of the ball's travel.) But since I don't know the acceleration, (or the time interval it took for the velocity to reach )m/s from 35m/s. how can I calculate that piece of information?

JustynSC said:
Oops. Yes the initial velocity is equal to 35.0m/s
My frist attempt would have been a free body diagram depicting a ball traveling at the suggested speed coming in contact with the glove (or any object that acts against the ball's velocity. This in turn means there must be an opposing force (acceleration in the opposite direction of the ball's travel.) But since I don't know the acceleration, (or the time interval it took for the velocity to reach )m/s from 35m/s. how can I calculate that piece of information?
Make a list of the SUVAT equations (look it up) and keep it handy. There is enough information given to find the acceleration if you choose the right equation from the list.

Hey thanks for that I have never heard of the phrase SUVAT equations. This was greatly helpful!

What is the formula for calculating average forces on an object?

The formula for calculating average forces on an object is: F = m x a, where F represents force, m represents mass, and a represents acceleration.

How do you find the average force on an object with multiple forces acting on it?

To find the average force on an object with multiple forces acting on it, you need to add all the forces together and divide by the number of forces. This will give you the average force acting on the object.

What units are used to measure average forces?

Average forces are typically measured in Newtons (N) in the metric system and pounds (lbs) in the imperial system.

Can the average force on an object be zero?

Yes, the average force on an object can be zero if the net force acting on the object is zero. This means that all the forces cancel each other out, resulting in no overall force.

How can you use average forces to determine an object's motion?

By calculating the average force acting on an object and knowing its mass, you can use Newton's second law (F = m x a) to determine the object's acceleration. This acceleration can then be used to predict the object's motion, such as its speed and direction.