Average number of photons in a atom at a given temprature

Main Question or Discussion Point

Can anny body tell me how do I find the average number of photons in an atom at a given temprature for say lead.

Answers and Replies

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Atoms do not contain photons.Ever.

Atoms contain electrons and when an electron is in an excited state it is due to it having taken on an photon. I will like to know how many such photons there are at a given temprature.

Let me refrase my question how many photons at a wavelength of 1000 nm does it take to get a atom to a certan temprature.

Atoms contain electrons and when an electron is in an excited state it is due to it having taken on an photon.
It does NOT mean that atom contains photons. Absorbed photons do not exist enymore.

Let me refrase my question how many photons at a wavelength of 1000 nm does it take to get a atom to a certan temprature.
This does not make sense either, since temperature is a statistical property of a large numer of atoms, not one atom.

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Individual atoms do not have a temperature, as temperature is a statistical property that only applies to systems (objects) composed of many atoms.

Atoms contain electrons and when an electron is in an excited state it is due to it having taken on an photon.
Electrons are excited when the atom absorbs a specific quantity of energy, regardless of where that energy came from. It could come from absorption of a photon, a collision with another atom, an interaction with a subatomic particle, etc.

Do you mean certain energy level? Since an atom won’t have temperature, only lots of atoms will have temperature.