Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Average Potential Electricity and Magnetism

1. Sep 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the average potential over a spherical surface of radius R due to a point charge q located inside. Show that in general: (EQ 1 below), where Vcenter is the potential at the center due to all external charges and Qenc is the total enclosed charge

2. Relevant equations
    EQ 1 Vave = Vcenter + (Qenc/4*pi*ε₀*R)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am just really confused on where to at least get started. I'll be at the computer for awhile so feel free to ask questions I just want to get it started.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try placing a point charge on the z-axis a distance z'<R from the origin. What is the potential [itex]V(\vec{r})[/itex] at a general point [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] in spherical coordinates? Average this potential over the surface of a sphere of radius R. What do you get?

4. Sep 30, 2008 #3
    1/(4*pi*epsilon nought) q/r

5. Sep 30, 2008 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is it really?! I thought the potential due to a point charge located at [itex]\vec{r'}[/itex] was:

[tex]\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r'}|}[/tex]

Of course, when the charge is at the origin, [itex]\vec{r'}=0[/itex] and the potential reduces to the one you gave. But(!) what about when the charge is located along the z-axis a distance z' from the origin (i.e.[itex]\vec{r'}=z'\hat{z} \neq 0[/itex]) ??

6. Sep 30, 2008 #5
    not too sure?

7. Sep 30, 2008 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Have you learned about vectors yet? If so, what is [itex]|\vec{r}-z'\hat{z}|[/itex] in spherical coordinates?

8. Sep 30, 2008 #7
    i really dont know?

9. Sep 30, 2008 #8

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

you don't know if you've studied vectors yet?

10. Oct 1, 2008 #9
    I have and I know the potential outside the sphere has to only be in the +z direction because of symmetry, but I dont know the second part of your question.

11. Oct 1, 2008 #10

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well,

[tex]|\vec{r}-z'\hat{z}|=\sqrt{(r\hat{r}-z'\hat{z}) \cdot (r\hat{r}-z'\hat{z})}=\sqrt{r^2-2rz' (\hat{r} \cdot \hat{z})+z'^2}=\sqrt{r^2-2rz'cos(\theta)+z'^2}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow V(\vec{r})= \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon _0} \frac{q}{\sqrt{r^2-2rz'cos(\theta)+z'^2}}[/tex]

And so on the spherical surface [itex]r=R[/itex],

[tex]\Rightarrow V(R,\theta,\phi)= \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon _0} \frac{q}{\sqrt{R^2-2Rdcos(\theta)+d^2}}[/tex]

(where I have set z'=d the distance of the point charge from the origin)

Do you know how to average a function over a surface?

12. Oct 1, 2008 #11
    no i dont

13. Oct 1, 2008 #12

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The average of a function [itex]f(\vec{r})[/itex] over any surface [itex]\mathcal{S}[/itex] is defined as

[tex]f_{ave}=\frac{\int_{\mathcal{S}} f(\vec{r})da }{\int_\mathcal{S} da}=\frac{1}{A} \int_{\mathcal{S}} f(\vec{r})da[/tex]

where [itex]A[/itex] is the area of the surface, and [itex]da[/itex] is the infitesimal area element for said surface.

What is [itex]da[/itex] for a spherical surface of radius R (in spherical coordinates)?

Can you apply this to [itex]V(R,\theta,\phi)[/itex]?

14. Oct 1, 2008 #13
    da would be r^2sin(theta)drdtheta
    so then
    Vave = 1/a(integral (k q/r)*r^2sin(theta)drdtheta

15. Oct 1, 2008 #14

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Does [itex]r[/itex] really vary on a spherical surface of fixed radius [itex]r=R[/itex] ? If not, why is there a [itex]dr[/itex] in your [itex]da[/itex] ? Shouldn't there be a [itex]d\phi[/itex] term instead?

And why are you using kq/r for [itex]V(R,\theta,\phi)[/itex]?

What are the limits of integration for [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex]?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook