Average Speed and Force Question

In summary, the person is seeking help with physics and is specifically asking for assistance in calculating the average speed of a car on a 12 mile trip. They also mention another problem involving constant acceleration and pushing a crate with a certain force to start it moving. They are looking for someone to show them how to solve these problems.
baltar
Hello everyone! I am really terrible at physics.
I genuinely tried doing them(looking for similar examples in the book and such), but am still stuck. If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

1) A car is making a 12 mile trip. It travels the first 8.0 miles at 30mph and the last 4.0 miles at 60mph. What is the car's average speed for the entire trip?
I got 40mph. This is what I did 0.66666(30) + 0.33333(60) = 40mph.

2) A car is moving with constant acceleration. At t = 5.0 its velocity is 8.0m/s and t=8.0s its velocity is 12.0m/s. What is the distance traveled in that interval of time?

3) To move a large crate across a rough floor, you push on it with a force F at an angle of 21 degrees below the horizontal. Find the force necessary to start the crate moving, given that the mass of the crate is 32 kg and the coefficient of static friction between the crate and the floor is 0.57

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Use your knowledge of speeds and distance to compute the total time for the trip. Use that time and the total distance to get a average velocity.

2. and 3. Show us something of what you know about these situations.

Hello there! It's great that you're trying to understand these physics concepts. Don't worry, with some practice and guidance, you'll get the hang of it. Here are some tips to help you with these problems:

1) For the first question, remember that average speed is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken. In this case, the total distance is 12 miles and the total time is 0.66666 hours (since the car traveled 8 miles at 30mph, which takes 0.66666 hours and 4 miles at 60mph, which takes 0.33333 hours). Therefore, the average speed would be 12 miles divided by 0.66666 hours, which gives us 18 miles per hour (not 40mph).

2) For the second question, you can use the formula v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. Here, you have the final and initial velocities, and you need to find the distance traveled. Rearrange the formula to solve for distance (s) and substitute the given values to find the distance.

3) For the third question, you can use the formula F = μN, where F is the force required to start the crate moving, μ is the coefficient of static friction, and N is the normal force (which is equal to the weight of the crate). You can find the weight of the crate by multiplying its mass by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). Then, use trigonometry to find the normal force, and finally, substitute the values into the formula to find the force required.

I hope this helps! Keep practicing and don't be afraid to ask for help if you're still stuck. Good luck!

What is average speed?

Average speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving over a certain period of time. It is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken.

What is the formula for calculating average speed?

The formula for average speed is: speed = distance/time. This means that to find the average speed, you divide the distance traveled by the time taken.

What is the difference between average speed and instantaneous speed?

Average speed is the overall measure of how fast an object is moving over a period of time, while instantaneous speed is the speed of an object at a specific moment in time. Average speed takes into account the entire journey, while instantaneous speed only looks at a specific point.

What is force?

Force is a push or pull on an object that causes it to accelerate or change its motion. It is measured in units of Newtons (N) and is represented by the symbol F.

How is force related to average speed?

Force and average speed are related by Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the force applied to an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. This means that a greater force will result in a faster average speed, while a smaller force will result in a slower average speed.