Magnitude of average force exerted by each particle on other

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
TRVSA
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A particle of mass 5.0kg travels initially with a velocity of 8.0m/sˆı and then interacts with a particle of mass 6.0kg which was initially at rest. After the interaction the 5.0kg mass travels at a speed of 4.0m along a direction which makes an angle of 53◦ with the x-axis as illustrated.

  1. If the interaction took 0.2s, what was the magnitude of the average force exerted by each particle on the other?

Homework Equations


F = I/Δ t
I = ΔP

The Attempt at a Solution


I found the angle between x-axis and second particles velocity (30 degrees) and the speed of the second particle after interaction (5.4m/s). And now I am unsure whether to take the average of the masses and velocities of both particles or what
 
Physics news on Phys.org
TRVSA said:

Homework Statement


A particle of mass 5.0kg travels initially with a velocity of 8.0m/sˆı and then interacts with a particle of mass 6.0kg which was initially at rest. After the interaction the 5.0kg mass travels at a speed of 4.0m along a direction which makes an angle of 53◦ with the x-axis as illustrated.

  1. If the interaction took 0.2s, what was the magnitude of the average force exerted by each particle on the other?

Homework Equations


F = I/Δ t
I = ΔP

The Attempt at a Solution


I found the angle between x-axis and second particles velocity (30 degrees) and the speed of the second particle after interaction (5.4m/s). And now I am unsure whether to take the average of the masses and velocities of both particles or what
Take a tip from the relevant equations you posted. What is ΔP here?
 
Another tip: You can answer the question without knowing anything about the second particle.
 
haruspex said:
Take a tip from the relevant equations you posted. What is ΔP here?

change in momentum?