1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude of average force exerted by each particle on other

1. Nov 18, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle of mass 5.0kg travels initially with a velocity of 8.0m/sˆı and then interacts with a particle of mass 6.0kg which was initially at rest. After the interaction the 5.0kg mass travels at a speed of 4.0m along a direction which makes an angle of 53◦ with the x-axis as illustrated.

1. If the interaction took 0.2s, what was the magnitude of the average force exerted by each particle on the other?

2. Relevant equations
    F = I/Δ t
    I = ΔP

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found the angle between x-axis and second particles velocity (30 degrees) and the speed of the second particle after interaction (5.4m/s). And now I am unsure whether to take the average of the masses and velocities of both particles or what

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Take a tip from the relevant equations you posted. What is ΔP here?

4. Nov 18, 2016 #3

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Another tip: You can answer the question without knowing anything about the second particle.

5. Nov 18, 2016 #4
    change in momentum?

6. Nov 18, 2016 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, that is what it means, but what is its value in this question?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted