Magnitude of average force exerted by each particle on other

In summary, the question is asking for the magnitude of the average force exerted by each particle on the other after a 0.2 second interaction. Using the equation F = I/Δt, where I is the change in momentum, the value of ΔP can be found by taking the difference between the final and initial momentum of the 5.0kg particle. This value can then be used to calculate the average force exerted by each particle. The mass and velocity of the second particle are not needed for this calculation.
TRVSA

Homework Statement

A particle of mass 5.0kg travels initially with a velocity of 8.0m/sˆı and then interacts with a particle of mass 6.0kg which was initially at rest. After the interaction the 5.0kg mass travels at a speed of 4.0m along a direction which makes an angle of 53◦ with the x-axis as illustrated.

1. If the interaction took 0.2s, what was the magnitude of the average force exerted by each particle on the other?

Homework Equations

F = I/Δ t
I = ΔP

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the angle between x-axis and second particles velocity (30 degrees) and the speed of the second particle after interaction (5.4m/s). And now I am unsure whether to take the average of the masses and velocities of both particles or what

Physics news on Phys.org
TRVSA said:

Homework Statement

A particle of mass 5.0kg travels initially with a velocity of 8.0m/sˆı and then interacts with a particle of mass 6.0kg which was initially at rest. After the interaction the 5.0kg mass travels at a speed of 4.0m along a direction which makes an angle of 53◦ with the x-axis as illustrated.

1. If the interaction took 0.2s, what was the magnitude of the average force exerted by each particle on the other?

Homework Equations

F = I/Δ t
I = ΔP

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the angle between x-axis and second particles velocity (30 degrees) and the speed of the second particle after interaction (5.4m/s). And now I am unsure whether to take the average of the masses and velocities of both particles or what
Take a tip from the relevant equations you posted. What is ΔP here?

Another tip: You can answer the question without knowing anything about the second particle.

haruspex said:
Take a tip from the relevant equations you posted. What is ΔP here?

change in momentum?

TRVSA said:
change in momentum?
Yes, that is what it means, but what is its value in this question?

What is the "magnitude of average force exerted by each particle on other"?

The "magnitude of average force exerted by each particle on other" is a measure of the strength of the force between two particles. It takes into account the distance between the particles and the mass of each particle.

How is the magnitude of average force calculated?

The magnitude of average force is calculated using Newton's law of universal gravitation, which states that the force between two particles is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

Why is the magnitude of average force important in physics?

The magnitude of average force is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion. It is a fundamental concept in classical mechanics and is used to calculate the acceleration and trajectory of objects.

Does the magnitude of average force change with distance?

Yes, the magnitude of average force changes with distance according to the inverse square law. As the distance between two particles increases, the force between them decreases.

Can the magnitude of average force be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of average force can be negative. This indicates that the force between two particles is attractive, pulling the particles towards each other. A positive magnitude indicates a repulsive force, pushing the particles away from each other.