Average velocity? Average speed?

In summary: The flags are 201 m apart diagonally, forming a right triangle with sides of 108 m and 93 m. Using the Pythagorean theorem, the distance between the flags is found to be approximately 138.2 m.
CMATT

Homework Statement

A cow runs in a straight line, moving 108 m east in 16.4 seconds. It then turns and runs 93 m north in 7.64 seconds. a) What was the cow's average speed over the whole trip?
b) What was the cow's average velocity over the whole trip?

Homework Equations

average speed = total distance traveled / time

average velocity = displacement / time

The Attempt at a Solution

a) average speed = (108 m + 93 m) / (16.4 s + 7.64 s) = 8.36 m/s

b) average velocity = (108 m - 93 m) / (16.4 s + 7.64 s) =

I keep getting the wrong answer for average velocity ... what am i doing wrong? It says on my homework the right answer is 5.93 m/s northeast

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
CMATT said:

Homework Statement

A cow runs in a straight line, moving 108 m east in 16.4 seconds. It then turns and runs 93 m north in 7.64 seconds. a) What was the cow's average speed over the whole trip?

Homework Equations

I keep getting the wrong answer for average velocity ... what am i doing wrong? It says on my homework the right answer is 5.93 m/s northeast

Thanks!
The magnitude of the displacement is the straight-line distance from the beginning point to the ending point. Consult Mr. Pythagoras .

Likes CMATT
The problem said west and then north. You seem to have thought it was west and then east.

HallsofIvy said:
The problem said west and then north. You seem to have thought it was west and then east.
So do I add them together then?

Have you at least drawn a picture? Did you think about SammyS's remark about "Pythagoras"?

HallsofIvy said:
Have you at least drawn a picture? Did you think about SammyS's remark about "Pythagoras"?
Yes, I drew a graph with N/S/E/W directions and lines showing where the cow is relative to the direction. She is traveling east at first, and then changes direction to go north. Both positive directions...but even when I add them and divide I'm still getting it wrong. As for the pythagoras, I'm not sure what to plug into where

CMATT said:
Yes, I drew a graph with N/S/E/W directions and lines showing where the cow is relative to the direction. She is traveling east at first, and then changes direction to go north. Both positive directions...but even when I add them and divide I'm still getting it wrong. As for the pythagoras, I'm not sure what to plug into where

If you go 108m east then 93m north, how far are you from where you started?

CMATT said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Thanks!
Keep in mind that an average velocity is a *vector* because displacement is a vector. Find the total displacement (a vector) and divide it by the total time interval. By the way, their answer is not completely correct; northeast means 45 degrees north of east but the correct answer is not exactly 45 degrees north of east.

PeroK said:
If you go 108m east then 93m north, how far are you from where you started?
201 m ?

CMATT said:
201 m ?

Okay, an interesting answer! What about this.

You have a large football field that is 108m long and 93m wide. You put a flag in one corner, then you walk 108m east and 93m north to the opposite corner and put another flag there. How far are the flags apart?

What is the difference between average velocity and average speed?

Average velocity is a vector quantity that measures the displacement of an object over a specific time period. It takes into account the direction of motion. On the other hand, average speed is a scalar quantity that measures the distance traveled by an object over a specific time period. It does not consider the direction of motion.

How is average velocity calculated?

Average velocity is calculated by dividing the displacement of an object by the time it took to travel that distance. The formula is: average velocity = displacement / time.

What are the units of average velocity and average speed?

The units of average velocity are distance per time, such as meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h). The units of average speed are also distance per time, but they do not specify direction, such as meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

Can average velocity be negative?

Yes, average velocity can be negative. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction defined in the problem. For example, if an object is moving west and the positive direction is defined as east, then its average velocity would be negative.

What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is calculated over a specific time period, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. Average velocity takes into account the overall displacement of an object, while instantaneous velocity gives information about the object's velocity at a specific point in its motion.