1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average speed question: forwards then backwards

1. Nov 9, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An object starts at the origin, position A; then travels 20 m to position B; then returns to position A. From A to B the average speed is 10 m/s; on its way back the average speed is 6 m/s. What is the average speed for the entire trip?

2. Relevant equations
    average speed = distance/time
    distance is the "length" covered. This is not - according to my understanding - the same as velocity, which is displacement/time. In this example, the velocity would by 0 m/s, because the numerator, the displacement, is zero, as the object has returned to the origin.

3. The attempt at a solution
    From A to B the distance is 20 m and the average speed is 10 m/s. Therefore:
    20 m/time = 10 m/s and time = 20 m/ 10 m/s = 2 s.
    From B to A the distance is 20 m and the average speed is 6 m/s. Therefore:
    20 m/time = 6 m/s and time = 20 m/ 6 m/s = 3.33 s.
    Overall, the journey from A to B and back again takes (2 + 3.33) s = 5.33 s.
    The total distance covered (not displacement) is 40 m (20 m from A to B and 20 m from B to A).
    Therefore, the average speed = distance/time = 40 m/ 5.33 s = 7.50 m/s (approx.).

I have changed the numbers from the textbook to see if I was making some type of numerical error, but I have applied the same reasoning. The textbook has a different value from what I obtain (it is lower). Where am I going wrong?

Any help appreciated, many thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

4. Nov 10, 2014 #3
    In the textbook the value from A to B is 8.8 m/s and from B to A it is 6.6 m/s. They give the answer as something like 2.6 m/s. I got 7.54 (to 2 d.p.):
    40 m / [(20/8.8) + (20/6.6)] s = 7.542857143 m/s.

5. Nov 10, 2014 #4
    2.6 m/s does not make sense. It cannot be less than the 6.6 m/s, the lowest of the two average speeds.

6. Nov 16, 2014 #5
    Thanks for the reply. I guess it's just an error in the textbook.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted