Average Speed vs. Average velocity

In summary: But if you're moving with a constant velocity (speed is constant, direction is constant), then the magnitude of average velocity = average speed. In such a case, the dist-time graph will always be a straight...line.In summary, the average speed and average velocity are usually the same for something in motion, but there is a difference in how the terms are used.
jtbell said:
"Direction" and "orientation" mean the same thing in this context.

Hm, in my language, by mentioning 'direction', we refer to the straight line on which the vector is 'placed'. My fault, direct translation. But, how do you call that 'direction' then? (Assuming we know what magnitude means, and assuming when you say, for example, 'direction north', you mean that the 'arrow' is pointed north.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Checkfate said:
...In my physics class [tex] \vec{v}=0.7m/min[/tex] would meen 0.7m/min in a positive direction (The + is assumed). We don't put a vector sumbol over 0.7m/min. If I am doing something wrong within this paragraph please tell me :) I can't say that I am failing physics though... and I think I would be if I didn't have a grasp on how to use vector quantities by this point! lol :) Why do you have [tex] \vec{i} [/tex] in there?

Have you learned about vectors in math yet?

No, just physics. I have wanted to peak at vector calculus for a while now, but haven't yet.

Checkfate said:
No, just physics. I have wanted to peak at vector calculus for a while now, but haven't yet.

I suggest you do so, it will become more clear. :smile:

radou said:
Hm, in my language, by mentioning 'direction', we refer to the straight line on which the vector is 'placed'. My fault, direct translation. But, how do you call that 'direction' then? (Assuming we know what magnitude means, and assuming when you say, for example, 'direction north', you mean that the 'arrow' is pointed north.)

I see your point. We can say that a line's orientation is horizontal, and its direction is either to the left or to the right. I think in practice, in English, "direction" almost always includes both things. People often do use "orientation" to mean what you do, but it's also used as a synonym for "direction" so it can be confusing unless the context is clear. I can't think of a word that people would reliably recognize as meaning your "direction," without a very clear context to put it in.

And with vectors specifically, the description "magnitude and direction" is universal in physics textbooks in the U.S., as far as I know.

radou I am sorry to say this but I think you are misinterpreting my point... We are dealing with a physics problem, and in physics, [tex]\vec{v}=0.7m/s[/tex] is the correct way of writing that the velocity of something is 0.7m/s in a positive direction. I would beg to differ that I need to read a vector calculus book (university material) to understand vector notation which is clearly and simply laid out in grade 10 physics courses. While in vector calculus, one set of rules may be used, but as far as I know they don' teach vector calculus in grade 10 so I don't think that someone should have to understand a university level concept to grasp a grade 10 level concept...caprija's is in grade 10 after all. If you want to carry out this discussion further, perhaps we should move it to private discussion. I am not saying that you are not right as you obviously have a few years on me :P But in a physics courses in the United States and Canada, my definitions as well as my examples hold true. (except the one that I admitted was miscalculated) "Case Closed"

jtbell said:
I see your point. We can say that a line's orientation is horizontal, and its direction is either to the left or to the right. I think in practice, in English, "direction" almost always includes both things. People often do use "orientation" to mean what you do, but it's also used as a synonym for "direction" so it can be confusing unless the context is clear. I can't think of a word that people would reliably recognize as meaning your "direction," without a very clear context to put it in.

And with vectors specifically, the description "magnitude and direction" is universal in physics textbooks in the U.S., as far as I know.

I think I got it. A vector is completely described with magnitude and direction if we set up a coordinate system, because a point with the coordinate (x, y, z) is enough to determine the radius-vector from the origin, with the 'arrow' on the top, i.e. in the point (x, y, z). Further on, for every point (x, y, z), we can define the vector of an 'opposite orientation' with it's 'top' at the point (-x, -y, -z). Pointing out that the vector is described with three parameters, obviously makes sense only if we haven't got a coordinate system set up.

<h2>1. What is the difference between average speed and average velocity?</h2><p>Average speed is the measure of how fast an object is moving over a certain distance, while average velocity is the measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction over a certain distance.</p><h2>2. Can average speed and average velocity be the same?</h2><p>No, average speed and average velocity cannot be the same. Average speed does not take into account the direction of motion, while average velocity does.</p><h2>3. How is average speed calculated?</h2><p>Average speed is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken. It is expressed in units of distance over time, such as meters per second or miles per hour.</p><h2>4. How is average velocity calculated?</h2><p>Average velocity is calculated by dividing the displacement (change in position) by the total time taken. It is expressed in units of distance over time in a specific direction, such as meters per second east or miles per hour north.</p><h2>5. Why is it important to distinguish between average speed and average velocity?</h2><p>It is important to distinguish between average speed and average velocity because they provide different information about an object's motion. Average speed tells us how fast an object is moving overall, while average velocity tells us how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. This distinction is especially important in situations where an object is changing direction or moving at varying speeds.</p>

1. What is the difference between average speed and average velocity?

Average speed is the measure of how fast an object is moving over a certain distance, while average velocity is the measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction over a certain distance.

2. Can average speed and average velocity be the same?

No, average speed and average velocity cannot be the same. Average speed does not take into account the direction of motion, while average velocity does.

3. How is average speed calculated?

Average speed is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken. It is expressed in units of distance over time, such as meters per second or miles per hour.

4. How is average velocity calculated?

Average velocity is calculated by dividing the displacement (change in position) by the total time taken. It is expressed in units of distance over time in a specific direction, such as meters per second east or miles per hour north.

5. Why is it important to distinguish between average speed and average velocity?

It is important to distinguish between average speed and average velocity because they provide different information about an object's motion. Average speed tells us how fast an object is moving overall, while average velocity tells us how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. This distinction is especially important in situations where an object is changing direction or moving at varying speeds.