Average Speed With Ambiguous Distance/Time

In summary, average speed with ambiguous distance/time refers to calculating an object's speed when the distance or time traveled is not clearly specified. This is done by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken. It can be negative when the object moves in the opposite direction of its initial motion. This differs from average speed, which only considers total distance and time. It has various real-life applications, including in physics, engineering, sports, and weather forecasting.
onemic

Homework Statement

A locomotive travels on a straight track at a constant speed of 40 mi/h, then reverses direction and returns to its starting point, traveling at a constant speed of 60 mi/h. What is the average speed for the round-trip?

Homework Equations

avgS = distance/time
t = d/40

The Attempt at a Solution

avgS = 2d/(t+40/60(t))
= 2d/(t+(2/3)t)
= 2(t/40)/(t+(2/3)t)
= (t/20)/(t+(2/3)t)
I don't really know what to do after this point. The solution manual has the steps for the solution as:

avgS = 2d/(t+(2/3)t)
= 80t/(t+(2/3)t) = 48 mi/h

I have no idea how they got to the last step. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
In case you don't know how they got the first step, they took the total distance over the total time: it's t+2/3t because he's traveling 1.5 times as fast on the way back. as t represents the amount of time it takes the train to get to the turning point, we can use the formula d = 40t (because distance = speed*time) and substitute into the formula given in the answers: 2d = 80t.

Likes onemic
Ah, thanks. How did they get the final answer of 48 mi/h?

80t/(5/3t)=240t/5t=48

Likes onemic
Thank you!

onemic said:

Homework Statement

A locomotive travels on a straight track at a constant speed of 40 mi/h, then reverses direction and returns to its starting point, traveling at a constant speed of 60 mi/h. What is the average speed for the round-trip?

Homework Equations

avgS = distance/time
t = d/40

The Attempt at a Solution

avgS = 2d/(t+40/60(t))
= 2d/(t+(2/3)t)
= 2(t/40)/(t+(2/3)t)
= (t/20)/(t+(2/3)t)
I don't really know what to do after this point. The solution manual has the steps for the solution as:

avgS = 2d/(t+(2/3)t)
= 80t/(t+(2/3)t) = 48 mi/h

I have no idea how they got to the last step. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I much prefer to do it from first principles, in detail and without skipping steps; here is how:

If distance out = distance in = d (in miles), time out is T_o = d/40 (in hours), and time in is T_i = d/60. Total time = T_o+T_i = d(1/40 + 1/60) = (100/2400) d. Round-trip distance is 2d, so average speed is S_avg = 2d/(total time) = 2400/100 = 24 (in miles/hr).

Ray Vickson said:
I much prefer to do it from first principles, in detail and without skipping steps; here is how:

If distance out = distance in = d (in miles), time out is T_o = d/40 (in hours), and time in is T_i = d/60. Total time = T_o+T_i = d(1/40 + 1/60) = (100/2400) d. Round-trip distance is 2d, so average speed is S_avg = 2d/(total time) = 2400/100 = 24 (in miles/hr).
You have an error here, Ray, from a lost or misplaced factor of 2. The average speed for the entire trip is 48 mi/hr.

Mark44 said:
You have an error here, Ray, from a lost or misplaced factor of 2. The average speed for the entire trip is 48 mi/hr.

Thanks. That was an obvious typo that I did not see before pressing the enter key.

1. What is average speed with ambiguous distance/time?

Average speed with ambiguous distance/time refers to the calculation of an object's speed when the distance or time traveled is not clearly specified. This can occur when an object changes its speed or direction during its motion, or when there are multiple segments of travel with different speeds.

2. How is average speed with ambiguous distance/time calculated?

The calculation of average speed with ambiguous distance/time involves dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken. This can be represented by the equation: average speed = total distance / total time.

3. Can average speed with ambiguous distance/time be negative?

Yes, average speed with ambiguous distance/time can be negative. This occurs when the object travels in the opposite direction of its initial motion, resulting in a negative displacement. The negative sign indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction than the direction chosen as positive.

4. How is average speed with ambiguous distance/time different from average speed?

Average speed with ambiguous distance/time differs from average speed in that it takes into account the changes in distance or time during the motion of an object. Average speed only considers the total distance traveled and total time taken, without accounting for any changes in speed or direction.

5. What are some real-life applications of average speed with ambiguous distance/time?

Average speed with ambiguous distance/time is commonly used in physics and engineering, as well as in everyday situations such as driving. It can also be applied in sports to calculate an athlete's average speed during a race or game, or in weather forecasting to determine the average speed of a storm.