1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average Speed With Ambiguous Distance/Time

1. Apr 6, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A locomotive travels on a straight track at a constant speed of 40 mi/h, then reverses direction and returns to its starting point, traveling at a constant speed of 60 mi/h. What is the average speed for the round-trip?

2. Relevant equations

avgS = distance/time
    t = d/40

3. The attempt at a solution

avgS = 2d/(t+40/60(t))
    = 2d/(t+(2/3)t)
    = 2(t/40)/(t+(2/3)t)
    = (t/20)/(t+(2/3)t)

I don't really know what to do after this point. The solution manual has the steps for the solution as:

avgS = 2d/(t+(2/3)t)
    = 80t/(t+(2/3)t) = 48 mi/h

I have no idea how they got to the last step. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2016 #2
    In case you don't know how they got the first step, they took the total distance over the total time: it's t+2/3t because he's travelling 1.5 times as fast on the way back. as t represents the amount of time it takes the train to get to the turning point, we can use the formula d = 40t (because distance = speed*time) and substitute into the formula given in the answers: 2d = 80t.

4. Apr 6, 2016 #3
    Ah, thanks. How did they get the final answer of 48 mi/h?

5. Apr 6, 2016 #4
    80t/(5/3t)=240t/5t=48

6. Apr 6, 2016 #5
    Thank you!

7. Apr 6, 2016 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I much prefer to do it from first principles, in detail and without skipping steps; here is how:

If distance out = distance in = d (in miles), time out is T_o = d/40 (in hours), and time in is T_i = d/60. Total time = T_o+T_i = d(1/40 + 1/60) = (100/2400) d. Round-trip distance is 2d, so average speed is S_avg = 2d/(total time) = 2400/100 = 24 (in miles/hr).

8. Apr 6, 2016 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You have an error here, Ray, from a lost or misplaced factor of 2. The average speed for the entire trip is 48 mi/hr.

9. Apr 6, 2016 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks. That was an obvious typo that I did not see before pressing the enter key.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted