Average torque of a rotational freefall

In summary, the poster has an arm with a length of 1m and a mass of 1kg attached to it, which rotates downwards due to gravity upon release. They are seeking to calculate the average torque produced from the topmost to bottommost position, but are struggling due to changes in the force and arm vector angles. Another user suggests graphing the torque as a function of the angle and finding the average from there. The original poster is unsure how to proceed as they are not familiar with physics calculations.
Docx
Hi all, this is not actually homework or similar but the board seemed as the appropriate place for the question.

I have an arm of 1m length pointing upwards from a rotation axis, on the end of the arm is a mass of 1kg, upon release the arm starts rotating downwards due to gravity (no other forces).
What is the average torque produced from the topmost to the bottommost position.

I haven't been doing physics calculations for like 10 years now so am pretty rusty. I can calculate the torque for a force acting in the direction of rotation, but since the force vector and the arm vector angle changes I'm stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
Docx said:
Hi all, this is not actually homework or similar but the board seemed as the appropriate place for the question.

I have an arm of 1m length pointing upwards from a rotation axis, on the end of the arm is a mass of 1kg, upon release the arm starts rotating downwards due to gravity (no other forces).
What is the average torque produced from the topmost to the bottommost position.

I haven't been doing physics calculations for like 10 years now so am pretty rusty. I can calculate the torque for a force acting in the direction of rotation, but since the force vector and the arm vector angle changes I'm stuck.

Welcome to the PF.

Well, you have very little torque at the top and bottom of the swing, and maximum torque when the weight and arm are out in the horizontal position (if I understand your problem definition correctly). Can you sketch a graph of the torque as a function of the angle? What does that function look like? Is it a function that is easy to integrate and find the average of?

It is normal circular rotation. I am sure it is very simple but i haven't been doing this a long time so i can't even start.

What is the average torque of a rotational freefall?

The average torque of a rotational freefall is the average force applied to an object as it rotates freely around an axis, causing it to accelerate.

How is the average torque of a rotational freefall calculated?

The average torque of a rotational freefall is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by its angular acceleration and the distance between the axis of rotation and the point where the force is applied.

What is the unit of measurement for average torque of a rotational freefall?

The unit of measurement for average torque of a rotational freefall is Newton-meters (N·m) in the metric system or foot-pounds (ft·lb) in the imperial system.

What factors affect the average torque of a rotational freefall?

The average torque of a rotational freefall is affected by the mass of the object, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the amount of applied force.

Why is understanding average torque of a rotational freefall important?

Understanding average torque of a rotational freefall is important in fields such as physics and engineering as it helps in the analysis and design of rotating systems, such as motors, turbines, and other machinery.