Avg Velocity Avg speed question

In summary, the conversation discusses the distance a car would move during a sneeze while driving at a speed of 90 km/h. The question involves converting units and using a simple equation to calculate the distance.
vysero
During a hard sneeze, your eyes might shut for 0.50 s. If you are driving a car at 90 km/h during such a sneeze, how far does the car move during that time.

Here is where I am having problems. I am not sure what I should be doing. So I was hoping someone could get me started. Is this an avg speed or an avg velocity question? Please give me some tips on how to figure out what these kind of equations are asking of me. For some reason I am having trouble starting.

This seems like a conversion question...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry I even asked I knew it wasn't a avg speed or avg velocity question I got frightened to early I figured it out to be 12.5m!

Sorry I posted!

The car is moving at constant velocity and constant speed. The distance it travels in a time t and at a constant speed v is given by a simple equation. But yes, first you need to convert the speed to a compatible unit (like m/s) to be consistent with the unit of time which is given in seconds.

Sorry I answered. You got it right.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between average velocity and average speed?

Average velocity is a vector quantity that measures the displacement of an object over a specific time period, while average speed is a scalar quantity that measures the distance traveled by an object over a specific time period.

2. How do you calculate average velocity?

Average velocity is calculated by dividing the total displacement of an object by the total time taken, and is often represented as v = Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is displacement, and Δt is time.

3. Can average velocity be negative?

Yes, average velocity can be negative if the object's displacement is in the opposite direction of its initial position. For example, if an object moves 10 meters east and then 5 meters west, its displacement is -5 meters and its average velocity would also be negative.

4. What is the unit of measurement for average velocity?

The unit of measurement for average velocity is meters per second (m/s) in the International System of Units (SI).

5. How is average velocity graphically represented?

Average velocity can be represented on a position-time graph as the slope of the line connecting two points on the graph. The steeper the slope, the greater the average velocity of the object.