1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Avg Velocity Avg speed question

1. Sep 4, 2012 #1
    During a hard sneeze, your eyes might shut for 0.50 s. If you are driving a car at 90 km/h during such a sneeze, how far does the car move during that time.

Here is where I am having problems. I am not sure what I should be doing. So I was hoping someone could get me started. Is this an avg speed or an avg velocity question? Please give me some tips on how to figure out what these kind of equations are asking of me. For some reason I am having trouble starting.

This seems like a conversion question...

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2012 #2
    Sorry I even asked I knew it wasn't a avg speed or avg velocity question I got frightened to early I figured it out to be 12.5m!

Sorry I posted!

4. Sep 4, 2012 #3

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The car is moving at constant velocity and constant speed. The distance it travels in a time t and at a constant speed v is given by a simple equation. But yes, first you need to convert the speed to a compatible unit (like m/s) to be consistent with the unit of time which is given in seconds.

Sorry I answered. You got it right.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook