How to calculate average velocity given distance and time?

In summary, the motorist's average velocity was 56.9 km/h north. This was calculated by adding the displacements of 114.5 km and 43.858 km, and dividing by the total time of 2.785 hours. The mistake in the original calculation was using the displacements as the final and initial positions, rather than adding them together.
qwertyqwert321

Homework Statement

A motorist drives north for 35.9min at 73.3km/hr and then stops for 15.4min. He then continues north, traveling 114.5km in 1.93hr. What is his average velocity?

Homework Equations

avg velocity = xf - xi / time

The Attempt at a Solution

35.9 min * (1 hr / 60 min) = 0.5983 hr
0.5983 hr * (73.3 km / hr) = 43 .858 km

total time = 0.5983 hr + 1.93 hr + 0.257 hr = 2.785 hr

= 114.5 km - 43.858 km / 2.785 hr

= 25.37 km /hr N

which is actually incorrect because the answer is meant to be 56.9 km /h N.
What am i doing wrong ?

Physics news on Phys.org
qwertyqwert321 said:

= 114.5 km - 43.858 km / 2.785 hr
What is meant by "xf - xi" here, in general? And as applied to this problem?

collinsmark said:
What is meant by "xf - xi" here, in general? And as applied to this problem?
the displacement and in this problem, the final distance and initial distance

qwertyqwert321 said:
the displacement

That is where you have gone wrong I assume [itex]x_f[/itex] means final position and [itex]x_i[/itex] means initial position. Here 114.5 Km and 43.858 is already the displacement for the given time intervals. You can find the total displacement by adding the displacements.

Mastermind01 said:
That is where you have gone wrong I assume [itex]x_f[/itex] means final position and [itex]x_i[/itex] means initial position. Here 114.5 Km and 43.858 is already the displacement for the given time intervals. You can find the total displacement by adding the displacements.
Wow thanks so much. If this question asked for average speed, would it be the same?
because i know avd speed = total distance / total time

qwertyqwert321 said:
Wow thanks so much. If this question asked for average speed, would it be the same?

Yes.

qwertyqwert321 said:
If all of the displacements are in the same direction, as they are here, average speed is the magnitude of the average velocity.
Since the question asks for average velocity, you should include the direction in the answer.

Likes Mastermind01

1. How do you calculate average velocity?

To calculate average velocity, you need to divide the total distance traveled by the total time it took to travel that distance. This will give you the average speed at which an object was moving.

2. What is the formula for average velocity?

The formula for average velocity is average velocity = total distance / total time. This is a simple equation that takes into account both distance and time to determine the average speed of an object.

3. Can you explain the difference between average velocity and average speed?

While average velocity and average speed are often used interchangeably, they are technically two different concepts. Average speed only takes into account the magnitude of an object's movement, while average velocity takes into account both the magnitude and direction of an object's movement. This means that average velocity gives a more precise representation of an object's movement.

4. What units are used to measure average velocity?

The units used to measure average velocity are distance over time, such as meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h). The specific unit will depend on the units used for distance and time in the calculation.

5. Can average velocity be negative?

Yes, average velocity can be negative. This occurs when an object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction you have chosen. For example, if you are measuring the average velocity of a car moving west, a negative velocity would indicate that the car is moving east.