1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Awesome cloud chamber track! (video)

1. Mar 26, 2016 #1
    I recorded an amazing cloud chamber track tonight. It came from the direction of the sun, seemed like the angle was off slightly though. I was at 1200ft above sea level and it was 6 pm.
    I will attach a picture of my setup and a video that is typical and then the video with the awesome track.
    It was a simple cloud chamber on dry ice, with a balloon on top. It is lit internally with LED strips.
    The awesome track appears to curve, it is a domed glass chamber though. The other tracks appear straight.
    I had a thorium welding rod inside along with a piece of americium from a smoke detector.

What was that track!?

My setup:
    IMG_20160326_174654173_zpsrrzq0y3a.jpg

typical tracks:

amazing track:

Ben

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2016 #2
    A helical track? I have no idea how that could be.

4. Mar 28, 2016 #3
    Stellarium says at that time the sun would have been at 17.5deg above the horizon. The track in the video appears to enter the chamber at an upward angle and arc in the chamber downward. The angle I was referring to was the upward entry angle being off relative to the position of the sun.

I have no idea what it was. It was much thicker and longer than a typical alpha particle or any cosmic ray that I've ever seen in my little cloud chamber.
    I'm happy just to have caught it on tape!

Ben

5. Mar 28, 2016 #4
    It almost appears to bounce when it gets to the far side of the chamber? Unless its a visual phenomena when it gets close to the LED light. I'm thinking maybe it was a paint flake or something flying off and it arcs that dramatically just from gravity? Seems more plausible than a massive particle that somehow curved.

Ben

6. Mar 28, 2016 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

If I move my cloud chamber or the supercooled air has substantial movement, I can get even weirder patterns than that.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted