1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Field in Semicircle Conductor

1. Nov 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Basically there is conductor shell which is in the shape of a semicircle. It extends to infinity. (Think of this as like half of a cylindrical conductor shell). The radius of this shell is A, and it carries a total current of X. The shell extends infinitely into the page. What is B-Field (Magnetic Flux Density) at the center of this conductor? I attached image for clarity.

3. The attempt at a solution

I think that this problem should be easy to solve. Basically I find the B field due to a long wire of some current, and then change this to make it dB which I would integrate from 0 to pi to find the total B - Field as the superposition of all of the dB elements. Does this sound like the right approach? I know that the field due to a wire is ([tex]\mu[/tex]* I)/(2*[tex]\pi[/tex]*r) where r is the distance from the wire. For dB, this should be ([tex]\mu[/tex]* dI)/(2*[tex]\pi[/tex]*r). I am not quite sure how to set up this integral as I am not quite sure on how to express dI. Any suggestions?

Sorry for my bad English I do not speak it natively.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2008 #2
    Also I am sorry I am not good at the text formatting for the equation. The mu and the pi should not be superscript.
  4. Nov 11, 2008 #3
    So I think I have made progress. I have dB = ([tex]mu[/tex]dI) / (2[tex]pi[/tex]A) and I have dI as Id[tex]phi[/tex]/[tex]pi[/tex]. The B-Field from each dB is in the [tex]\phi[/tex] directions, and as you integrate dB from 0 to [tex]\pi[/tex] to get the whole B-Field the final field will point to the left because everything else will cancel out. The problem is when I take this integral I get 0. Any help? Please.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?