1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B.S. in Computer Engineering, M.S./PhD in Technical/Engineering Physics?

  1. Nov 15, 2014 #1
    Hello all. Currently, I'm working towards changing my major towards Computer Engineering from Physics. I love Physics, but I can't see myself pursuing it as a lifetime career for some reason.

    When I told my high school teacher about this, he suggested that I look into technical physics (otherwise known as engineering physics), and see if that piques my interest. The description, a combination of engineering and physics, does indeed interest me. However, this particular major is not offered at my school (as far as I'm aware), and I'm still pursuing a B.S. in Computer Engineering as of now.

    My question is this: if I get a B.S. in CE, would I be able to pursue higher level education in the field of Technical Physics? Maybe for certain fields/specialization such as computation physics/systems?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2014 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    If you get a BS in Computer Engineering you will have a hard time pursuing higher education in Technical Physics. They are quite different in material and technique. If you want to be a computer engineer or go to graduate school in computer or electrical engineering that will be much easier.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook