1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B.S. in physics, but what minor(s)?

1. Jun 19, 2012 #1
    I'm majoring in physics, and possibly getting my business degree within the 4 years. I would like to work at an engineering firm, or a power plant. So I was considering minoring in an engineering, like electrical or mechanical, but I'm open to others. What would be the best engineering to minor in. I'd probably go onward to get my masters in the engineering, if necessary. I know most people are going to say just to major in the engineering, but my first love is physics and I've told myself since grade school it'd be my first degree.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2012 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It would seem that if your goal is to become an engineer that majoring in engineering is a wise course of actions.

Have you thought about engineering physics?

4. Jun 20, 2012 #3
    What's engineering physics?

5. Jun 20, 2012 #4
    If you have your heart set on working at a power plant, then electrical engineering would be a good choice. Mechanical engineering is more geared toward design and analysis of machines.

6. Jun 20, 2012 #5
    I was thinking electrical because I wanted to work on the power of tomorrow, and hopefully make a name for myself.

7. Jun 21, 2012 #6
    Renewable/solar energy is a big deal right now. Does your school offer a minor in anything like that?

8. Jun 21, 2012 #7
    Well, at the moment I'm finishing my general classes, I had to go to a community college then transfer due to finance issues and me not wanting any loans. So right now I have a couple of options but i didn't know that was something you could actually study, I thought it was a "go get your degree in engineering and come work" thing.

9. Jun 21, 2012 #8
    Getting a general engineering degree would probably be good enough to go into revewable... I imagine you could probably learn the ins and outs of it on the job after being hired, or research it yourself and then prove yourself in an interview. But my school offers a minor in it that I've been eyeballing myself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook