Bachelor's Degree and Grad School Question.

In summary, the speaker has switched their major from physics to software engineering and will need to pursue a computer science degree at the University of Arizona. They initially started college with a different degree, but went back to physics before deciding on software engineering. Their community college courses were geared towards physics, so they will need an additional 2.5 to 3 years to complete the computer science degree. They are concerned about how long it took them to get their associates degree and how it will affect their chances of getting into graduate school. However, the other person reassures them that it is not a major factor, especially since their GPA is 4.0. They also share a story about someone they know who switched from English to physics. The
Ithryndil
Hello,

I have currently switched my major from physics over to software engineering. From what I can find out, I will need to pursue the computer science degree at the University of Arizona. When I was initially going to college, I had actually began with a different degree. After a semester I went back to physics because I couldn't really imagine doing anything else. Then, over the past six month, I decided to switch to software engineering. However, the courses I took at my community college were geared for a transfer for a degree in physics, not computer science.

I wound up spending 2.5 years getting my associates...and quite frankly, I am ashamed at that. Now, I am taking a year off before I go back to college. Then, I will probably need 3 years, or possibly even 2.5 years to get a computer science degree. It all depends on how exactly my courses will transfer. I received a 4.0 all throughout community college...and so my GPA is 4.0. My question is this:

How much do graduate school admissions committees look into how long the candidate spent to get his undergraduate degree? I never did declare a major at my community college, I just geared the courses I took towards physics as best I could. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't worry about this.

I don't think it's a major factor - especially if your marks have been consistently high. There are lots of people who jump from program to program before finally deciding on an avenue to pursue. I went through grad school with a guy who did an English degree before discovering physics was what he really wanted to do.

Alright. Thank you. I was really getting worried about this...I suppose it would be a whole different thing if I had wanted a degree in physics this whole time and wound up spending 5 - 6 years getting that degree...or if my GPA was lower.

1. What is the difference between a Bachelor's degree and a graduate degree?

A Bachelor's degree is an undergraduate degree that typically takes four years to complete and is focused on a specific field of study. A graduate degree, also known as a Master's or Doctoral degree, is a higher level of education that requires a Bachelor's degree as a prerequisite and typically takes 1-3 years to complete.

2. Can I go to graduate school with any Bachelor's degree?

Yes, you can go to graduate school with any Bachelor's degree, but some graduate programs may have specific prerequisites or prefer applicants with a certain major or coursework.

3. Is it necessary to have a Bachelor's degree before attending graduate school?

Yes, a Bachelor's degree is a requirement for most graduate programs. Some programs may allow students to apply if they have completed a certain number of undergraduate credits, but a Bachelor's degree is typically necessary.

4. How long does it take to complete a graduate degree?

The length of time to complete a graduate degree varies depending on the program and the student's course load. A Master's degree typically takes 1-2 years, while a Doctoral degree can take 3-7 years.

5. What are the benefits of getting a graduate degree?

A graduate degree can lead to higher earning potential, increased job opportunities, and specialized knowledge and skills in a specific field. It can also help individuals stand out in a competitive job market and advance in their careers.