1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bachelor's Degree and Grad School Question.

1. Jan 18, 2009 #1

I have currently switched my major from physics over to software engineering. From what I can find out, I will need to pursue the computer science degree at the University of Arizona. When I was initially going to college, I had actually began with a different degree. After a semester I went back to physics because I couldn't really imagine doing anything else. Then, over the past six month, I decided to switch to software engineering. However, the courses I took at my community college were geared for a transfer for a degree in physics, not computer science.

I wound up spending 2.5 years getting my associates...and quite frankly, I am ashamed at that. Now, I am taking a year off before I go back to college. Then, I will probably need 3 years, or possibly even 2.5 years to get a computer science degree. It all depends on how exactly my courses will transfer. I received a 4.0 all throughout community college...and so my GPA is 4.0. My question is this:

How much do graduate school admissions committees look into how long the candidate spent to get his undergraduate degree? I never did declare a major at my community college, I just geared the courses I took towards physics as best I could. Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2009 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

I wouldn't worry about this.
  4. Jan 18, 2009 #3

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I don't think it's a major factor - especially if your marks have been consistently high. There are lots of people who jump from program to program before finally deciding on an avenue to pursue. I went through grad school with a guy who did an English degree before discovering physics was what he really wanted to do.
  5. Jan 18, 2009 #4
    Alright. Thank you. I was really getting worried about this...I suppose it would be a whole different thing if I had wanted a degree in physics this whole time and wound up spending 5 - 6 years getting that degree...or if my GPA was lower.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?