1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bachelors in AE and Masters in CS

1. Sep 29, 2008 #1
    I am a second year AE major. I am also doing a minor in CS. I want to do masters in either AE or CS..and I am seriously not sure about which one to pick and need some help in deciding.
    The questions are
    1] How well do these 2 subjects [AE and CS] interact with each other
    2] Will I find a well paying job with a bachelors degree in AE and masters degree in CS
    3] Will my chances of finding a job immediately after graduation increase/decrease if I pick CS
    [I mean..will I be able to find jobs in both AE and CS]

Additional info: I am doing my bachelors at Ga Tech..and I am planning on going to Carnegie Melon for my masters [in case of CS] or Ga Tech [if I pick AE]...

Thanks
    bro6789

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2008 #2
    The only ways they really interact are when you have to program MATLAB simulations or make your own FEA programs for some specialized analysis. They aren't as closely-knit as say EE and CS. That said, my guess (which I feel is an educated one) is that such a combination of degrees would be advantageous if you're looking to work for one of the big aerospace companies that do a LOT of simulation work before even building a prototype. An increasing amount of simulation work will continue to be the trend in the future because of the amazing reduction in computing costs.

Will CS be a useful degree for that? It's hard to tell. I always viewed CS as an applied math degree that was extremely theoretical rather than pragmatic and teaching you how to program. Most of the work I'm talking about is fairly simple on a conceptual level, with the hard part being deriving the numerical approximations to all those PDE's you see in engineering.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Go yellow jackets! (I'm a grad student at GT)

4. Sep 29, 2008 #3
    Bachelors in AE maybe not.

Masters in AE...Yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?