Education sequence->bachelors to masters or bachelors to PhD

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
mmont012
Messages
39
Reaction score
0
Hello All,

I am confused about something, and I am hoping that someone can clear this up! The more that I talk to people in "STEM" fields, the more it seems that their education sequence is to go from bachelors to PhD and they just skip the masters entirely.
Is this common? Or am I just meeting/talking with a select few?
If it is common, what happened to the masters program?

Thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
mmont012 said:
Hello All,

I am confused about something, and I am hoping that someone can clear this up! The more that I talk to people in "STEM" fields, the more it seems that their education sequence is to go from bachelors to PhD and they just skip the masters entirely.
Is this common? Or am I just meeting/talking with a select few?
If it is common, what happened to the masters program?

Thank you!

In the states most do the bachelors to PhD route.
In Europe and elsewhere they tend do bachelors to masters and then masters to PhD.