Bacteria culture with growth proportional to size

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter QuantumTheory
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Bacteria Growth
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 21K views
QuantumTheory
Messages
215
Reaction score
0
My friend had to do this problem in Calculus BC. I'm no good at calculus, but I decided it was be fun for someone to figure it out for me.

A bacteria culture starts with 500 bacteria and grows at a rate proportional to its size. After 3 hours there are 8000 bacteria.
(a) Find an expression for the number of bacteria after t hours.
(b) Find the number of bacteria after 4 hours.
(c) Find the rate of growth after 4 hours.
(d) When will the population reach 30,000?

I think it involves differential equations.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
QuantumTheory said:
but I decided it was be fun for someone to figure it out for me.

:smile: :smile: :smile:

Start with [tex]y=Ae^{kt}[/tex]
 
Yeah that amused me too :smile: .I'd probably start a little earlier:

Growth proportional to size implies...

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}=ky[/tex]

with the intial condition [tex]y(0)=500[/tex] and the time t = 3 (in hours!) condition [tex]y(3)=8000[/tex].

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find the general solution to the DE above, and the values of k and the constant of integration A.

That's the model, the rest should be ok?