'balanceable equations' (beginning chem)

• Thread starter ncmm16
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chem
In summary, the student is struggling with balancing a chemical equation and is seeking help. They believe it to be a single replacement reaction but are unsure how to create an atom inventory due to different elements on each side. Another student clarifies that the elements are actually the same on both sides and offers a suggestion for balancing the equation. The student then realizes it is a decomposition reaction.
ncmm16

Homework Statement

I've been balancing equations but this one has me really confused please help.
C3H5(NO3)3----> CO2 +N2 + H2O + O2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that it is a single replacement reaction, (well I think so) but I don't know how to make the atom inventory because they aren't the same elements on both sides...so if you could please help me with that.
Then I can attempt to find the right coefficients on my own. :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
ncmm16 said:
they aren't the same elements on both sides...so if you could please help me with that.

Erm, they are the same on both sides. You have C, H, N, and O on the left, and C, H, N, and O on the right.

Remember you can don't need to multiply entire sides by a number, you can just multiply each product individually, so you can have 3N2 on the right but 6 CO2 for example.

I would say it is decomposition.

--
methods

1. What are balanceable equations in chemistry?

Balanceable equations, also known as balanced equations, are a representation of a chemical reaction in which the number of atoms of each element present on the reactant side is equal to the number of atoms of the same element present on the product side. This is achieved by adjusting the coefficients (numbers in front of each element or compound) to ensure that the law of conservation of mass is followed.

2. Why do we need to balance equations in chemistry?

In chemistry, balancing equations is necessary to accurately represent the reactants and products involved in a chemical reaction. It ensures that the number of atoms of each element is the same on both sides of the equation, which is important in understanding the stoichiometry or the quantitative relationship between the reactants and products.

3. How do you balance equations in chemistry?

To balance an equation, start by writing out the chemical formula for each reactant and product. Count the number of atoms of each element on both sides of the equation and compare them. Then, adjust the coefficients in front of each compound or element to ensure that the number of atoms of each element is the same on both sides. It may be helpful to start with the most complex molecule and work your way down to simpler ones.

4. Can equations be balanced by changing subscripts?

No, equations cannot be balanced by changing subscripts. Subscripts represent the number of atoms of each element within a molecule, and changing them would result in a different compound with different properties. To balance an equation, only coefficients can be changed, as they represent the number of molecules present in the reaction.

5. Are there any shortcuts to balancing equations?

There are no shortcuts to balancing equations, as it requires following strict rules and principles of chemistry. However, there are some tips and tricks that can make the process easier, such as starting with the most complex molecules, balancing polyatomic ions as a whole, and using fractions as coefficients if necessary.