1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Balancing Chemical Equations Using Oxidation Numbers

1. Dec 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://carlodm.com/pictures/problem.png [Broken]

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm stuck. Usually I balance the equation by multiplying the Fe(OH)2 and Fe2O3 by 3. However, I can no longer do this because Fe2O3 has two iron's per one molecule.

Do I multiply one by 6 and the other by 3?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Assume 2Fe(OH)2 is your reagent (why? because Fe2O3 contains two Fe atoms, just keep iron atoms forming one molecule of product togehter) - then you will have to multiply everything by 3. Basically that's the same as multiplitcation by 3 & 6, but it is easier to follow the reasoning.

--

4. Dec 11, 2009 #3
    I see. So I should balance the reactant iron first, to 2... then do the multiplications of irons by 3.

I've arrived at that step but the products side still looks like a mess. Is this where I stop all "techniques" and rely on intution and trial and error to figure out the balanced equation?

5. Dec 11, 2009 #4

Borek

Once you have Fe and Cr balanced rest you have to "balance by inspection" - which, as you have correctly pointed out, is a fancy name for "intuition and trial and error" :wink:

Do you have to use ON method?

--

6. Dec 11, 2009 #5
    No we're not required to use the ON method... but it is a tool that we are able to utilize for ugly equations such as this. Thanks for your help! This'll come handy for reviewing my Chem exam.

7. Dec 11, 2009 #6

Borek

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook