1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Balancing Copper Reaction & Finding Products

1. Nov 9, 2011 #1
    The purpose of this chemistry lab was to prepare/synthesize Bis(2,4-pentanedionato) Copper (II), which is also known as Cu(C5H7O2)2

I was given the following format for a chemical equation in a lab that needs to be balanced:

Cu2+ (aq) + 2 base-n (aq) + 2 C5H8O2 (aq) → Cu(C5H7O2)2 (s) + 2 H(base)1-n (aq)

*The 2+ and n's are charges I'm assuming*

My copper source was CuSO4•5H2O
    My base was NaHCO2

So I tried plugging in my sources for the equation and this is what I got (but I know it's wrong because the sulfur atoms are missing and I'm not sure how to balance it properly)...

CuSO4•5H2O (s) + 2 NaHCO2 (aq) + 2 C5H8O2 (aq) → Cu(C5H7O2)2 (s) + 2 H(NaHCO2) (aq)

Can someone please tell me how I determine where the sulfur is placed and help me balance this?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2011 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Your reaction equation should be net ionic - so you don't have to care about sulfate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook