Balancing equations and writing word equations for chemical reactions

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 7K views
Raza
Messages
203
Reaction score
0
Hello, I just need some help on these questions and some explaining.

What to do:
> Balance each of the following chemical equations.
> Identify the type of chemical reaction (Decompostion, Combustion and Synthesis)
> Write the condensed word equation

A)[tex]Li + Hg(ClO)_2 \xrightarrow~Hg + LiClO[/tex]

B)[tex]C_8H_1_8 + O_2 \xrightarrow~CO_2 + H_2O[/tex]

C)[tex]KOH + FeCl_3 \xrightarrow~KCI + Fe(OH)_3[/tex]

D)[tex]Au + O_2 \xrightarrow~Au_2O[/tex]

E)[tex]KCI\xrightarrow~K + Cl_2[/tex]

F)[tex]Ni + Cl_2 \xrightarrow~NiCl_3[/tex]

I know how to balance equation, for example; letter F would be:

F)[tex]2Ni + 3Cl_2 \xrightarrow~2NiCl_3[/tex]

I also know how to identify the type of chemical reaction, for example; letter F would be:
F)[tex]Ni + Cl_2 \xrightarrow~NiCl_3 \xleftarrow~[/tex] Synthesis

I need to know how to write a consedensed word equation.



And How would you write this out into a chemical equation:

A solution of carbonate and hydrogen hydroxide are produced when limewater reacts with your breath.




Thanks :smile:
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is your breath composed of? If you know that, all you need to do is balance the equation and know formulas for carbonate and hydrogen hydroxide.

To write a condensed word equation just follow the example you have given
 
Raza said:
...I need to know how to write a consedensed word equation.

And How would you write this out into a chemical equation:[/b]
A solution of carbonate and hydrogen hydroxide are produced when limewater reacts with your breath.

Thanks :smile:

As courtigrad mentioned, the quoted sentence is itself an example of such a word equation. You just want to substitute each chemical formula with the correct chemical name (see this link for help with naming compounds) and if possible, mention what type of reaction is happening.

Let me do one :

B) Octane combusts completely in oxygen ('air' may be acceptable too) producing carbon dioxide and water vapor.

I've made use of the knowledge that the reaction is a combustion reaction, and I've also mentioned that water is in the form of vapor, which I know because such combustion reactions usually produce a lot of heat.

As for your other question, I suggest you Google it to find out for yourself. IMO, it's a little too much to expect someone who hasn't heard of this reaction (it's quite a popular one) to know that it's the CO2 in your breath that's important.
 
A)[tex]Li + Hg(ClO)_2 \xrightarrow~Hg + LiClO[/tex]
Maybe: Lithium + Mercury(II) Chlorine oxide ------> Mercury + Lithium Carbonate

B)[tex]C_8H_1_8 + O_2 \xrightarrow~CO_2 + H_2O[/tex]
Maybe: Hydrocarbon + oxygen ------> Carbonate + Water

C)[tex]KOH + FeCl_3 \xrightarrow~KCI + Fe(OH)_3[/tex]
Maybe: Potassium Hydroxide + Iron Chlorate ------> Iron (III) Hydroxide

D)[tex]Au + O_2 \xrightarrow~Au_2O[/tex]
Maybe: Gold + Oxygen ------> Gold oxide

E)[tex]KCI\xrightarrow~K + Cl_2[/tex]
Maybe: Potassium Carbon Iodine ------> Chlorine

F)[tex]Ni + Cl_2 \xrightarrow~NiCl_3[/tex]
Maybe: Nickel + Chlorine ------> Nickel Chloride

Are the word equation correct?
Please tell me, I have to hand this in and it is worth a lot of marks/

Thanks :smile:
 
Last edited: